Twin Water Tanks under forward bunks?

www.bavariayacht.info
My Bavaria 47 has twin water tanks under the forward bunks, joined by a 15mm hose. This makes filling a bit of a chore while the levels settle. It also occoured to me that if these (total of 340 litre) tanks are half full, then I have the weight of a person slowly draining to the lower side when heeled over.

Is this a concern, and if so, would a valve be a idea?

johnphilip

Visit site
We have the same setup, albeit under the saloon bunks. The cross connecting hose has a valve on it but it's always left open and I can't say I've noticed any problem.
We have the same set up but no valve.I always wonder about the effect and would like to add a valve,but access would be under a screwed down section of floor unless I have a solenoid valve.

NormanS

Visit site
To me it would seem a basic necessity to have a valve or valves to prevent water free-flowing from one side to the other. My own boat has port and starboard fuel tanks and water tanks. Each tank has its own isolating valve, so I know which tank I am using. If I want to cross-level, I open both valves. That seems pretty straight forward.

Tranona

Visit site
If there is an independent pick up from each with a changeover valve then would make sense to have an isolating valve between the two.

johnalison

Visit site
You have the opportunity of isolating water in the uphill tank by draining down and closing a valve before tacking. Whether this makes any difference in practice I don't know.