twin luff grooves

G

I have a Hood genny roller with twin luff grooves.

Could I fly my new and old gennys (same size) downwind twizzle style out each side or will they both not like the angular pull? Maybe I need an extra lazy stay...

Anyone tried it? - you could save me a lot of effort trying it out and maybe damaging a sail, especially the new one!!!

Thanks

G

Worth a try, but not I would suggest a great idea, nor to be done in anything but light airs ...

You also need two halyards ...... but if set up correctly, they should be there anyway.

I have twin forestay instead of grooves and its been tried on my 1/4 ton cup boat ..... it didn't like it !!!! and actually contravenes the rules, but thats another story !

Nigel

G

I watched a Hood rep install one of these units on a boat very similar to mine and noticed that it had two grooves which were on opposite sides of the foil. Being curious I asked him what they were for (thinking quick change of headsail whilst racing where the grooves are normally alongside one another) and he said that that model was designed for cruising to allow two genoas to be flown goosewinged - enabling the main to be dropped. He was also installing a second jib halliard for this very purpose.
rv
sv Haliastur
Sydney NSW

G

If a second haliard was installed, was it fitted with a swivel as well? I doubt it could have been, in which case that means that with two jibs up the sails could no be reefed. Would it not be better to hoist both sails on one halliard, the one with the swivel attached? Sure, it would be more trouble, as youd first have to drop your normal jib, and then hoist it again in tandem with the second sail. But once they were up, it would be possible to furl both sails around the forestay- much easier, I'd have thought, than having to go forwards and drop one of the sails before reefing the other, in the event of a squall.
Just a thought- not sure if its actually possible.

G

Now that you mention it - it didn't have a swivel. I will contact HOOD and find the answer to that very good question.

G

I spoke to the Hood rep and he says that the two grooves are either for racing when you use the furler purely as a foil ie bypass the swivel or use it the way I previously described for goosewinging in which case you cannot furl the jib until you first lower the extra which is not on the swivel.
rv

G

Trevor, I used this system very succesfully during an Atlantic circuit in 96/97. I did not have enough halyards having only one genny, and a spinnaker halyard which did not produce the correct angle on the forestay. So I hoisted a block and long halyard with genny one which allowed me to hoist the second sail. I found they flew well with the slightly windward biased sail being held open with the spinnaker pole. I used a system of twins at night (allowing me to roll together, which worked well and change down quickly and safely) and spinnaker during the day. I suggest you give it a try.

G

Re: Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a whirl.

The spinnaker halyard on my Moody 37 is very adjacent to the genny halyard, and i think it should haul the old genny up fine. (Bet it doesnt - there's always a gotcha somewhere!!)

Thanks again.