TV Inverter

wooslehunter

Visit site
After posting on the reader-to-reader forum, I thought of posting here too.

Sine-wave inverters are advertised as "ideal for a TV, DVD etc.......". This infers that square wave inverters are not OK for a TV.

Does anyone use a square wave inverter to power a TV? They're loads cheaper.

Thanks, Dave

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Most TVs nowadays have a Switch Mode power supply so are quite forgiving as to power inputs; as long as the peak voltage is adquate the will extract the neccesary power and run OK. BTW this goes for almost all HiFi type goods. One area which might be problematic and that is the degauss on the TV. This serves the function of removing any magnetic induced discolourations on the screen. I'm not sure if a poor sine wave or square wave is as effective but you can be sure that it is in no way dangerous to try any invertor. Give it a go.

<hr width=100% size=1>Barry (yacht Mithril)

wooslehunter

Visit site
Thanks Guys,

I'm actually an electronic engineer and do understand TV PSUs so I couldn't think of any reason why not.

Some inverters are documented as not suitable for driving inductive loads and TVs over 75W power must be power factor corrected. That's done with a big inductor so I guess some inverters may be upset by that.

I'll try it anyway - it's still cheaper to get a cheap 14" TV and replace my cheap inverter if I have to, than to buy a 14" TV that runs from 12V.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Until recently my son lived in a property that had no mains electricity, his whole house ran off a big bank of batteries and an inverter, backed up by a diesel generator. He has a large TV, satellite dish and all normal household equipment. Other than a dimming of lights when something cuts in there is essentially no difference from a mains supply.

<hr width=100% size=1>