Turkey or Montenegro for time out in EU

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
My 90 days in Greece will be coming up at the. beginning of March, I am thinking about places to go and as I am in the Athens area it does not matter if its Albania , Montenegro ,or Turkey ,what do cruisers think best ,?

I was in Montenegro 2 seasons back and thought it beautiful but limited and Croasia a little to expensive
iIts been 17 years since being in Turkey. and when I was there found delightful ,have things changed much with Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in charge .?

All information appreciated.

Last edited:

Crisby

Visit site
I’m not sure if it’s still available but Sailaboutvic had a blog about cruising Croatia which, IIRC, involved spending as little as possible and living most of the time on the hook in quiet anchorages. It’s something we’re expecting to try at some point before Croatia becomes part of Schengen

Chris

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I have been all those places. I would go to turkey. might be a one way ticket though.
I have been as well without a ticket and came back .I think I wanted to know is,is the political situation in Turkey so bad to stop wanting to go back.
Or 1 way because it's so nice you would not want to return?
I fancy Sicily for the winter ,so there's an attraction to going to Albania ,but, is it a safe place to visit .?

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I’m not sure if it’s still available but Sailaboutvic had a blog about cruising Croatia which, IIRC, involved spending as little as possible and living most of the time on the hook in quiet anchorages. It’s something we’re expecting to try at some point before Croatia becomes part of Schengen

Chris
Yes ,I was expecting Vic to throw his hat in the ring with his knowledgeable comments.!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
My 90 days in Greece will be coming up at the. beginning of March, I am thinking about places to go and as I am in the Athens area it does not matter if its Albania , Montenegro ,or Turkey ,what do cruisers think best ,?

I was in Montenegro 2 seasons back and thought it beautiful but limited and Croasia a little to expensive
iIts been 17 years since being in Turkey. and when I was there found delightful ,have things changed much with Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in charge .?

All information appreciated.
As a matter of interest, have you been asked to get a Transit Log yet?

Regarding 90 days and Schengen, the lock down might have been declared a special circumstance, thus allowing you to stay longer.....

It was declared in respect of temporary admission last year.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
As a matter of interest, have you been asked to get a Transit Log yet?

Regarding 90 days and Schengen, the lock down might have been declared a special circumstance, thus allowing you to stay longer.....

It was declared in respect of temporary admission last year.
Hi .
I haven't even thought about it ,until you just pointed it out

Irish Rover

Visit site
I have been as well without a ticket and came back .I think I wanted to know is,is the political situation in Turkey so bad to stop wanting to go back.
Or 1 way because it's so nice you would not want to return?
I fancy Sicily for the winter ,so there's an attraction to going to Albania ,but, is it a safe place to visit .?
I'm curious why the political situation in any country should be of interest to a cruiser. Obviously we all need to be aware of the security situation in any country we visit but, subject to that, I'd be inclined, as a guest, to keep my opinions to myself and steer clear of politics. As a long time resident I'm happy to assure you about the security situation in Turkey. I doubt I could feel safer in any country in the world.
There is no restriction on yachts arriving in Turkey at present (apart from the usual arrival formalities) but Greece is not admitting yachts arriving from Turkey and that is likely to continue until the covid situation stabilises.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I'm curious why the political situation in any country should be of interest to a cruiser. Obviously we all need to be aware of the security situation in any country we visit but, subject to that, I'd be inclined, as a guest, to keep my opinions to myself and steer clear of politics. As a long time resident I'm happy to assure you about the security situation in Turkey. I doubt I could feel safer in any country in the world.
There is no restriction on yachts arriving in Turkey at present (apart from the usual arrival formalities) but Greece is not admitting yachts arriving from Turkey and that is likely to continue until the covid situation stabilises.

To ask about the political situation i think very relevant when moving to a country .
However thanks for your contribution.

atol

Visit site
To ask about the political situation i think very relevant when moving to a country .
However thanks for your contribution.
Now more than ever if you are British flagged,it only takes one ill thought out policy by our government to single out Brits as the perceived scapegoat by the mob.
The current vaccine scandal for example could quiet easily lead to civil unrest in otherwise safe countries with Brits singled out for public retribution.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Now more than ever if you are British flagged,it only takes one ill thought out policy by our government to single out Brits as the perceived scapegoat by the mob.
The current vaccine scandal for example could quiet easily lead to civil unrest in otherwise safe countries with Brits singled out for public retribution.
Don't you think that's way ott or downright paranoid. When was the last time you heard of a visiting yacht crew being targeted in any of the popular cruising areas in retaliation for some decision of the UK government.

atol

Visit site
Don't you think that's way ott or downright paranoid. When was the last time you heard of a visiting yacht crew being targeted in any of the popular cruising areas in retaliation for some decision of the UK government.
Early days,we have only just elevated ourselves to "International Pariah" status.....30 days in and article 16 has already been triggered in Ireland!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Err - the French Fishermen in Cherbourg when they blockaded - a British yacht tried to leave - they fired a flare into the cockpit and set the yacht on fire - crew were in the cockpit when flare fired - so perhaps attempted Murder? I was there and saw the lack of police interest in what had happened - we all decided to stay put!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Early days,we have only just elevated ourselves to "International Pariah" status.....30 days in and article 16 has already been triggered in Ireland!
Atol - are you saying the UK is in the wrong over this? and that we deserve to be a paria? Just because we had the only government in the world that poured money into several different vaccines and came up trumps - when Euroland took 3 months to try to beat down a price which the company was giving on a no profit basis..... They have just pointed to the way the run the shop - Bullying...What bloody shits they are - we are well out of it!

Irish Rover

Visit site
Err - the French Fishermen in Cherbourg when they blockaded - a British yacht tried to leave - they fired a flare into the cockpit and set the yacht on fire - crew were in the cockpit when flare fired - so perhaps attempted Murder? I was there and saw the lack of police interest in what had happened - we all decided to stay put!
I'm not aware of this. Sounds interesting. Post a link if you have one.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Hi .
I haven't even thought about it ,until you just pointed it out
Possible Actions....
1. Ask the immigration officials if the clock has stopped running on the 90 days - as you are unable to travel.
2. Get you Transit Log and then get your passport stamped as crew. You have to sleep on board. This is under the international shipping conventions, and one of the approaches the CA is putting to the Greeks - as its simple, and already exists in Greek law.
Look at this link - where a USA Yacht has done it.
Getting "stamped" in the Greek Transit Log
IMPORTANT. If you are a VAT Paid vessel and in Free circulation - Get your letter from the Yard that you were there on 31st Dec 2020. Then, taking all your proof of VAT Payment to the Customs - you ask (and insist) on an "UNLIMITED" Transit Log. I think Corfu is used to this, but no idea about Prevessa if you are there. If they call head office they will be told they can do this.

Then tell us how it feels like to be a guinea pig..... Several Aussies already do this so it should work.

Do email me if you have any issues as this is a critical time to make sure we get what is right....