Tuesday 15th May Update

tome

www.google.co.uk
Tues 15th 10am local 11 am BST

42deg N 23deg 05W, motorsailing 6 knots, cog53T

Single engined motoring gives us six knots, sometimes almost seven knots, and both engines motoring rarely gives us any more than eight knots. What would you do? OK then, seeing as how pwc and LJS are indifferent - and then me (from Yorkshire) and Para (from Scotland) discuss the matter - what do you think we'd do, hm? That's right, I've turned the single engine down from 2000 rpm to 1900 rpm and see what that gives us.

Para pores over the weather maps and thinks we perhaps have more chance of waiting out the high pressure than outrunning it. We'll see. Pressure is up to 1031.5mb now, nice and sunny, but rather useless for a saily boat, with true wind 6 knots directly from behind.

Later, LJS and pwc mused about perhaps turning (say) a bit north and then later gybing east, to get the most out of the wind, all ocean racing style.
But then we thought a bit more and decided nah, far too much work, the boat would go faster but travel further, and they went back to reading their books. So the only course alterations yesterday were a late-eveing slight jig to the east for a ship. Manoevering well in advance to keep a predicted minimum 2 miles (by the radar and AIS) from any other vessel seems to work well enough.

I hear from shoreside that the little sailing jellyfish are actually Portguese man-o-war jellyfish. Ooh. I always thought they'd be giants. There's no danger of us handling them of course, and I think small son#1 once found remnants of same on a beach in Florida - he howled and we had to find a doctor after he picked up the interesting blue-purple thing.

Declarations made on an arrival time yesterday - various guesses between Sunday and Monday. I had a wild guess at Thursday week as I thought we
*might* re-route to Falmouth first. But then more shoreside natter means no, best option remains that we're bound for France first. Dang. Mind you, speed down to 5.8 knots now and I could always drop the engines into neutral every time it's my watch. At this rate Monday looks more likely than Sunday. Or even Monday week.

The supplies for Mohitos are back up, and each morning I am tending the plantpot of mint. It's actually cut fresh mint that I stuck into a plant pot with some dirt found last minute around the marina in Horta, so unlikely to sprout during the week, but at least it's less likely to die.

That's all for the moment, crew all fine, and a great deal of sleeping being done. 10 oclock here and two of them still in bed, although given the conditions there's not a lot of point in getting up before lunch...

tcm

jimi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just shows you always need a plant pot on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

...or a pot plant ahem

[/ QUOTE ]

or just a few dopes?