Trouble on watch

pugwash

Visit site
A Trinity House deep-sea pilot writes in yesterday's (Wednesday) Daily Telegraph as follows: I have noticed a steady decline in watch-keeping standards to such an extent that my colleagues and I are witnessing at least one near collision [every trip]...On one recent transit SW-bound through the Dover Straits, I witnessed three near collisions...all in broad daylight and good vis. "

I'd like to make contact with pilots, navigating officers, Coast Guard officers, RNLI people -- plus any other professionals -- who have had experiences of this sort. I will try the usual official avenues but I'm sure this forum might include some of the above. I will explain my research project and track record to anyone who contacts me.

What do you think -- is the situation really as bad as the pilot says?

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I think it is as bad as they say.

Recent channel events of the collision of two boats going in the same direction followed by another boat hitting the wreck is probably something that almost happens on a daily basis.

I do not know the truth but from my limited observations, the comments of the Pilot does not surprise me.

Paul

coliholic

Visit site
And then after completing the "research study", will be in a much better position to apply to the Government\Lottery\EU for additional funds so that they can increase the monitoring of such events. They will then be able to recommend buying loads of expensive equipment and solutions that ultimately involve spending even more money. This in turn will generate the need for additional funding due to the increase in the size of their hard worked department.

Of course all they'll be really doing is keeping an eye on things from the comfort of their offices but at least they'll be seen to be doing something.

Cynical?

Moi?

Never

G

Out of academic interest rather than an urge to dash across to Dunkerque, I looked at the MCA website for the coordinates of the 'Tricolor' wreck. I was surprised to find only a press notice referring all enquiries to the French Coastguard and giving a phone number. See http://www.mmyc.co.uk[/b]