Tristan Jones The Incredible Voyage

paulieraw

I Live near Cambridge and sail the wash and east c
Visit site
If anyone has read Jones’s books they are full of adventure. This Incredible Voyage was one of the first I read. In 1970 Tristan set sail to be the first person to sail the lowest point of water on earth, the Dead Sea and the highest, Lake Titicaca. The book tells of the voyage that covered a distance of almost twice the circumference of the world.
It is real boys own stuff, being shot at by snipers, battling against the Humbolt current, taking his boat overland on precarious mountain passes and then coming back along the Amazon to Argentina at a time of political unrest.
It is almost to fantastical to be true and is inspiring and well written.

Last edited:

paulieraw

I Live near Cambridge and sail the wash and east c
Visit site
I think the received wisdom is that Jones leant towards the fantastical rather than the entirely true. Probably part of what makes them an entertaining read.

Oh definitely a smattering of fiction mixed in with the facts. But then again we alll embellish. The tales we tell of sailing in rough weather it’s always a little rougher looking back. It makes the story more intresting.

Mataji

Visit site
I’ve read and enjoyed most of Jones’ books, however they are definitely a smattering of facts mixed in with the fiction.