Trintella 29 opinions

derekja

Visit site
I'm looking for a sailboat in the 30' range purely for cruising. I want the ability to go offshore eventually, although I'll likely stay on Puget Sound for the immediate future. I've found a 1969 Trintella 29 in good condition for $18,900 US. It has a vovlo MD2 diesel, Loran C, VHF, a depth sounder, Harken roller furling, and an inflatable dingy with 3.5hp outboard.

Any thoughts on how this compares to other boats in its class? We don't see too many Trintella's over here on the west coast of the US. My other alternatives are a Pearson Triton, an Alberg 30, and a Bristol Channel cutter that I'm drooling over but can't afford.

Comments are very much appreciated. Thanks.

--Derek

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Your selection looks pretty sound; I have not sailed a Trintella 29, but its reputation is about the same as the Pearson Triton and the Alberg 30 - good solid sensible boat. Sorry I cannot be more help.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Derek,

PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you some info on the Trintella. It's one of the boats I've been considering, and if wasn't so far away from Scotland, I would be coming for a look !

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1>

bluevelvet

Visit site
If it is a factory boat and in good nick they make excellent cruisers,their long keel and heavy displacement make for great seakeeping.Like any boat of that age the important thing to look out for is past maintenance,Iused to race on one and we picked up a few prizes and I would recommend this style of yacht to you.I to have a serious interest in BCC but the prices are high,is their one near you for sale? Boats like the BCC are not available this side of the pond Regards John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
We know one down here on the south coast of the UK (it is for sale too). It is probably the toughest boat in the marina - when he's racing her he doesn't start reefing the main until 25+ knots - and in these conditions its hard to believe how fast to windward she is - on the flip side in light breezes she sticks to the water and has trouble making way to windward. Handling under engine is poor - but then this has only a 9(ish) HP engine - all the normal problems with a long keel with keel hung rudder with prop aperture.

Jeff.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Trintella designed by Van de Stadt, who has an enormous reputation for building sensible, seaworthy and sea-kindly yachts.

Hull and deck moulding by Tylers, who built lots of solid, well respected models through the '60s and '70s.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>