Trim Tabs

martynl

Visit site
Hello

Does anyone have any experience of fitting trim tabs to a small boat (ie 17ft).

I'm looking into doing this and I've found the rocket flaps to be pretty good technology for the money. See www.rocketflap.com. Has anyone ever installed these or seen them work?

Also, does anyone know if trim tabs will stop my the bow rising when the boat is stationary?

Thanks

Martyn

<hr width=100% size=1>

cliff

Visit site
Think boats instead of 'puters.......

Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect customer support employee with a caller:

"Ridge Hall computer assistant; may I help you?"

"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."

"What sort of trouble?"

"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."

"Went away?"

"They disappeared."

"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"

"How do I tell?"

"Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?"

"What's a sea-prompt?"

"Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"

"There isn't any cursor, I told you, it won't accept anything I type."

"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

"What's a monitor?"

"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

"I don't know."

"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."

".......Yes, it is."

"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

"No."

"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

".......Okay, here it is."

"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

"I can't reach."

"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

"No."

"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's because it's dark."

"Dark?"

"Yes - the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

"Well, turn on the office light then."

"I can't."

"No? Why not?"

"Because there's a power outage."

"A power... A power outage? Ah, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"

"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

"Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."

"Really? Is it that bad?"

"Yes, I'm afraid it is."

"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

<hr width=100% size=1>
hammer.thumb.gif
Stay put when I hit you!

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Martyn,

You should be able to adjust your fore and aft trim with the outboard adjustments to get the level correct, using trim tabs to correct a list under power on a small craft is not economic, as only a small amount of wieght needs to be shifted to correct it.

To get the bow down at rest you have a few options, shit some weight forward (from the stern), or add / build some extra flotation to the transom.

A client of mine who does a lot of diving wanted to fit a larger outboard to his 23 foot centre console cigar boat, this was going to add an extra 50 Kg, the old 150 was to be replaced with a 200 HP.

I extended the bottom and sides of the hull about 600 mm and formed two boxes to allow the outboard leg room to turn; and finished them only inches above the water line so he could get into them easily, rather than climb up the outboard when returning to the boat.

The end result was a longer waterline, better handling, improved performance even with the smaller outboard and getting back on board was very easy.

The extension was made using closed cell foam and epoxy resin.

I hope this helps

Avagoodweekend........

<hr width=100% size=1> Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

bruce

Visit site
i have a pair on a 13.5 ft with a 75hp on it, comes on plane faster and more level when running and lifts hull little more out of the water. if you don't have a planning hull, may not be much help. westmarine sella an automatic trim tab system by NAUTICUS, Inc called 'smart tabs automatic trim tab system'.

<hr width=100% size=1>