Transiting the Thames estuary

Tahitibelle

Visit site
I plan to sail towards Harwich from N.foreland next month (June). Which route would the east coaster 'jesters' et al suggest is best to follow, bearing in mind that we south coasters start twitching when we see the depth recorder showing 12m under the keel when there are seagulls standing upto their ankles 12m abeam. I shall sail in a 20', junk rig, bilge keeler and assume the weather and vis will no worse than mod.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Leave Ramsgate at the start of the N stream and head to Long Outer at south end of Foulgers Gat, through the Gat and then from a couple of cables north of Long Sand Inner head up Black Deep towards Sunk Head, probably south of S Cork and east of Medusa up to Languard for Harwich.

I am not a proper Jester, just a 2012 wannabe but I do sail the East Coast waters!

If you have time do visit Brightlingsea and West Mersea.

Starfishbooks

www.starfishbooks.co.uk
Up to date chart is the best advice. Also liberal use of back bearings from the buoy you have just passed until you can identify your next mark helps you keep on track. You can be set by the tide quite quickly in some areas making buoy hopping great fun when you get a bit disorientated!

Your echosounder is the best instrument as you can follow a contour along the banks with ease. GPS is useful, but the banks do shift about a bit, so traditional methods turn out to be more use. The old Thames barge skippers used to use wave patterns and water colour to a large extent, but these skills have been sadly lost.

You can travel long distances with only a foot or two of water below the keel which is unnerving if you are not used to it.

From an ex Eastcoaster, now trying to cope with unexpected rocks in west wales!

Tahitibelle

Visit site
Paul - She (boat) is presently in Newhaven, Sussex on a tidal drying marina upstream from the swing bridge - Not the best for instant access to the sea but economic and ideal, as she is a new (old) boat and it is a good place for learing the systems and tidying her up - She is a Kingfisher 20+ with junk rig (like Golden Dragon) - Am pretty chuffed with her, big change from previous (Tahiti Belle). This one actually docks and goes astern more or less in the direction one tries to point her even in a cross wind - being a multihull man you will know what I mean. Am planning a short Eastcoast cruise next month and a bit of a recce for future berthing facilities. Also having failed to interest own children in sailing am hoping to show grandchildren what their parents have missed. SWMBO did a deal "Forget Jester 2010 Atlantic challenge and loose two stone in weight and I will support your next boat project" What can a chap do? - loose two stone in weight and wait for Jester 2012 Azores challenge I guess! If any 'Jesters' are down this way (Eastbourne, Sovereign harbour or Newhaven) give us a shout and we can have a beer. Lots of love to your lovely lady paul (I do not mean your boat) and regards to you - Nick.

Noddy

Visit site
Keep an eye on the Jester Forum as there may be another East Coast Jester Meet at some point.

Otherwise, pop in and see us up the Colne / Brightlingsea if you are passing.

All the Best
Paul & Yvette

Tahitibelle

Visit site
Thanks BNB.....Your suggested route looks good. 'Fishermans Gat' was my first thought but 'Foulgers' looks more direct. What about the return passage - would the same route in reverse be best or are there not too testing alternatives. Also if one was to decide to return to Ramsgate from the Blackwater which route would you take.

nathanlee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I plan to sail towards Harwich from N.foreland next month (June). Which route would the east coaster 'jesters' et al suggest is best to follow, bearing in mind that we south coasters start twitching when we see the depth recorder showing 12m under the keel when there are seagulls standing upto their ankles 12m abeam. I shall sail in a 20', junk rig, bilge keeler and assume the weather and vis will no worse than mod.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry too much, the mud bottom is quite forgiving, and presuming you draw as much as me (2 foot and a bit) you will, in all honesty, have to try quite hard to put her aground. If you transit some of the sandbar "channels" expect the sounder to drop below 1m though.

Obviously with soundings like that, sea state becomes a major factor in your passage plan, but compared to North Norfolk/the Wash, the Thames estuary is bottomless. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Visit site
Hi Nick,
I crossed the Thames from Harwich via Fishermans Gat on way to start JAZ08 in Goldie. It says in the good book "Don't do it in a strong NE" I NOW KNOW WHY!! ....but it gave me great confidence in GD for the trip ahead! Good luck.

Noddy

Visit site
He's right! Don't do it in a strong NE.

The other big problem can be wind over tide. When they are in opposition a vicious chop can build in the shallow water.

Can't agree with Nathan. The mud is only forgiving in a calm sea: If you blow onto a leeward sand / mudbank you will be beaten into lots of pieces. It doesn't happen very often but it is horrible when someone gets caught out.

Have a fun trip /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul