Training for tidal Thames

Gavi

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good trainer for VHF and anything else that may be useful for my 2007 trudge from Staines to Limehouse in a Freeman 24, please?

trev

Visit site
I must have made the trip over a dozen times - there is nothing too complex so long as you get your tide right on leaving Teddington.- about two hours before HW London Bridge is a good yardstick, which should put you below Richmond with sufficient water underneath, and an hour or so pushing the last of the flood. Then you can run the last hour and a half or so on the young ebb which still gives you a good tide window for Limehouse.
VHF is channel fourteen for the whole stretch. I don't usually report in to Thames Control (Woolwich) until Wandsworth Bridge, and then again at Tower Bridge.
I guess you will be somewhat slower than the allowed eight knots while pushing the flood, so have added in a bit extra time in my estimate - but the large tide access to Limehouse should give you plenty of scope.

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
using vhs on the river really is simple not much need above wandsworth below wandsworth we always call London vts to tell them who we are and where we are going apart from this they are usefull to warn others of debris or to alert the rnli or harbourmaster

Forbsie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
using vhs on the river really is simple not much need above wandsworth below wandsworth we always call London vts to tell them who we are and where we are going apart from this they are usefull to warn others of debris or to alert the rnli or harbourmaster

[/ QUOTE ]

Darn, I just gave away my video recorder! I didn't know I could use it to call the harbourmaster. I could attract his attention by chucking it at him. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
[ QUOTE ]

Darn, I just gave away my video recorder! I didn't know I could use it to call the harbourmaster. I could attract his attention by chucking it at him. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point you should have kept the recorder as your more likley to get his attention with it than vhf

Mind you my scottish friend you could throw a plank or two at him !!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oldgit

Visit site
listening to VHF can be just is useful.Gives you a good idea as to what is leaving where and when and when you are likely to meet it.Always lots to see when going through central London,I always try to see what is happening a bridge or two futher on and not just the bit under your immediate bow.
Wash from trip boats is bad enough,but unanticipated tugs in a hurry spell doom for loose crockery and unsecured TVs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the_wanderer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Im up for a trip down to Tower bridge and back with the tide .

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! Gimme a shout when it's on and I will shove my little fourteen foot tub in on some slipway on the tideway and join you lot. She has been up and down the tideway a few times and survived. May have a bit of trouble keeping up with my old 7.5 hp Honda outboard and a Seagull spare but she will get there.

It's about time me and my boat did something interesting.

Regards.

Alan.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why not do a RYA radio course a Bisham Abbey it only takes a day.
Listening out.

[/ QUOTE ]

HA! HA! I'm glad you didn't make the common mistake of saying "over and out" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif