Trailer Sailors: Red Fox

G

I am considering the purchase of a trailer sailor and would like to hear from anyone having any experience of, or at least an informed view of the Red Fox 200E?
I hear she sails well but would like to know more about accomodation - we are 2 adults and 2 children under 6 and will probabaly spend at least some nights aboard.

Stemar

Visit site
I talked to someone who had one a few months back and they were happy. Twin dagger boards a bit of a handful when tacking, but otherwise good performance and handling. Not an ocean cruiser, but a great creek hopper.

G

I have owned a Red Fox 200E for the last three seasons. For a trailer sailor, the accommodation is superb. The thick cushions, decent headroom, separate loo compartment, 'piped' water, etc. and the absence of a keel case, all make for relative space and comfort.

Prior to the Red Fox, we owned a Swift 18. We would cruise and live aboard this for up to 3 weeks at a stretch with any two of our 3 teenage children, and thoroughly enjoy ourselves.We would never spend more than one night away from a marina, though, and rarely that. In comparison to the Swift 18, our Red Fox is sheer luxury, and we now visit marinas rarely and so can cruise more extensively in our favourite area of NW Scotland. It all depends where you are coming from. of course. If you have only sailed 40ft yachts, a Red Fox will seem cramped. From my viewpoint, though, it will offer perfectly good accommodation for your family.

As for sailing performance, the Red Fox is very good in smooth water, and fine with the wind F4 or less. Beating into reasonable waves in stronger winds is best avoided, as it slams horribly, like all flat-bottomed boats. With children under 6 you are unlikely to be making long passages and so can choose your weather.

We don't find the operation of the keels / dagger boards any problem. Many owners have fitted devices to aid the raising of the boards, but we haven't found it necessary. My wife usually operates them, and quite enjoys having more to do!

If you want further info, let me know.

G

Keith
Many thanks, your comments were really useful.

At the moment I'm swaying between an Etap 22 / 23, the Red Fox or maybe taking a plunge on the new Parker 235. The more I hear however, the more the Red Fox climbs to the top of the list... just a case of finding one and raising the cash!

Thanks again
Mark

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Only thing you might be conscious of is the re-sale value and desirability of the boat to other people, it is rather unique with it's keel arrangement. The one's I have seen, and there aren't that many, seem to have lost quite a bit of their value. If like most T/S's you get the bug you will most probably want to move up and then this becomes an issue. (can be a rather unpleasant one if you don't get it right). There is quite a variance in price in the boats you mention, what is your budget? Good luck.

G

Good point on resale value - strangely enough I haven't seen any 2nd hand Red Fox's and I did think the new price was a little steep fore the size & spec.
My budget is around the £20,000 mark with a small degree of flexibility but to me, the appeal of a t/s is not so much the cost of entry but rather, a reluctance to further further line the pockets of a marina especailly when I probabaly wont get more than a dozen weekends use over the course of the year!
Any other suggestions on craft to consider gratefully received!

Mark

G

Mark,

I cannot offer any help on the relative merits of the Red Fox 200E, Etap 23 and Parker 235, having only sailed the former. However I can offer you plenty of 'insider info' on the Red Fox, if you want a chat, and you are welcome to come and inspect my boat. She lives on my drive, near Nottingham, and we will be sailing in the Solent over Easter, if either location is convenient. My e-mail address is
K.S.Peat@lboro.ac.uk
if you want to contact me direct.

With regard to resale value, I certainly haven't noticed any sudden depreciation from the few boats that have got to the second hand market. Maybe there was some confusion with the 200 and 200E models, not to mention the 200S, with the 200E being the priciest, of course.

Keith

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
The new Parker 235 would be a nice boat to own and is only a tad over your budget. In general they tend to sell well second hand and are a high quality product with superb after sales service from the man himself, Bill Parker. They are advertising an open day for the new 235 in March so you should be able to see one soon. The 21 is a popular boat but not ideal for what you want, some of the roomiest boats inside are Beneteau and have strong followings in the used market, it tested well against the Red Fox. Steer well clear of a yellow one though, pretty but not a good seller, the new Jenneau did not test well. Your budget gives you the choice of almost the whole trailer sailer market so you have lots of choice.

G

Keith
This is very kind of you. Unfortunately however I recived the new spec / price list from Red Fox earlier this week and I have to say, the inflation of prices (which is way beyond inflation) has rather dampened my enthusiasm.
Whereas previously the basic spec + options to create a comparable spec to the Parker amounted to a very similar overall price tag (within a hundred pounds or so), the new prices put the Red Fox at about £3000 more.

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Thanks again
Mark