TradNav and Golden Globe Race 2018

zoidberg

Visit site
Re the developing 'Golden Globe Race 2018' and the apparent requirement to use only equipment available to the original 1968 participants, I've been thinking about the navigation techniques, skills and equipment that will be needed. I reckon that more than a few 'intendants' will have a steep learning curve.... and maybe something of a challenge in finding enough of the Retro items needed.

Given that the primary deep-water navigation technique then employed - as there was nothing else - involved a high order of manual Deduced Reckoning, updated when practicable by a range of competently-resolved sights with a sextant, there could be a call for some 'old, bold' navigator-tutors from last century to sharpen up their wits and pencils. That unrelenting task requires an accurate steering compass, frequently checked for deviation as magnetic latitude and movement of stores changes. It requires an accurate and calibrated distance log, with spare parts. None of the currently-expected electronic aids to navigation will seemingly be permitted, save perhaps a Radio-Direction Finder.

No navtex, no chartplotter, no GPS, no through-hull log ( I think ), no AIS. no radar, no weather routeing software, no electronic autopilot, no modern depth sounder or wind instruments.... and certainly no Facebook, NTL or YBW.com :rolleyes:

One would be prudent to carry more than one working example of every important item of kit, and 'sufficient' spares and tools to effect lots of repairs at sea - not to mention a range of skills that are less common now than they were in 1968. An RYA 'Zero To Hero' course, with one sun sight on a quiet day en route to La Corunna, will not cut it. How many yotties do you know who have ever run a manual DR plot for >24 hours ( or even 6 ) or who have dealt with a dismasting without calling out the cavalry?

I reckon the qualifying passages will see a big dropout rate. Similarly, those who do qualify and head off are likely to show some remarkable competences, with stories well worth listening to.

For those amongst us who are quietly preparing their boats for the Suhaili or Joshua classes, I have a loft full of appropriate kit - now that I have sifted through me ould father-in-law's lifetime-accumulated boaty kit. I mean, how many Walker Logs does one old man need....? ;)

Foolish Muse

Visit site
All you need is a compass. Just keep going east until you hit something, then adjust course north or south as appropriate and go east again.

wotayottie

Visit site
Dont think they will get away with some of the restrictions you mention. Safe navigation requires that you respect others safety not just your own, and you are not doing that if you deny yourself all modern technology. Radar alarms and transponders for example.