Trader fuel efficiency?

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
We are trying to compare pros & cons between a Trader 50 & an Elling E3/E4. Both approx of 10 years old.

Of course, Traders can be specified with several different engines, although they often seem to be Cats of around 400hp each. Does anyone know the approx fuel efficiency that we could get with a Trader 50 please?

Newbroom

Visit site
I had a Trader 575 basically a Trader 54ft with an extended bathing platform. She was fitted with a pair of CAT 435 hp. She managed a gallon a mile at a touch over 9 knots at 10 knots it went up to 15 gallons an hour. I wouldn't expect any better with a Trader 50 the shorter waterline length compromising the weight saving.

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
Very useful info thank you. It seems a little more thirsty than an Elling.

Would the fuel efficiency have increased if running on one engine?

Please can you explain the waterline length effect please? I have a lot to learn!

simonfraser

Visit site
Longer water line has a higher max speed b4 it needs to plane
Think long slim hull vs short stubby fishing boat
Google it ;)

Newbroom

Visit site
I had a Trader 575 basically a Trader 54ft with an extended bathing platform. She was fitted with a pair of CAT 435 hp. She managed a gallon a mile at a touch over 9 knots at 10 knots it went up to 15 gallons an hour. I wouldn't expect any better with a Trader 50 the shorter waterline length compromising the weight saving.

Running on one engine at the same revs you will have a fuel saving but a slower speed if you run on one engine at the same same speed its doubtful that you will make any significant fuel saving.
Besides my own boat I delivered all of the Trader range out to the Med and there is very little difference in the range re fuel consumption The best consumption I could get was at just over nine knots using just under 4.5 galls each engine per hour. I cant remember the revs I ran at for that but will dig out my old logbooks and look it up for you. At that speed and with 80 gals of diesel in drums I could make Guernsey to Gibraltar with out having to re-fuel. But that was in my own boat which had 1000 gallon tanks against the standard 500 gallon tanks of most Traders.

Last edited:

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
Thanks for your very interesting reply.

In comparison & from my information, it appears that a semi-displacement 49ft Elling E4 with a single 435hp engine gives a fuel efficiency of 1 litre per nm at 8.5knts & 3.8 litres per nm at 16knts. As the Elling is a little shorter, I'm wondering how it can be so much more fuel efficient? Perhaps the Elling has a flatter bottom giving better fuel efficiency but worse sea keeping?

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
I thought I'd post a shot of an Elling. Is there anything in the design which would make her extra fuel efficient or less sea worthy compared to a Trader?

keel.jpg

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site
Here are our actual fuel consumption figures for a Trader 54 with CAT 3126B (450hp) engines over 1568 nautical miles in 2016:

Average speed: 7.33 kts (we cruise at 8.5 to 9 kts but the average includes entering and leaving ports and some river work).
Average Consumption: 3.63 litres per nautical mile, 1.25 nautical miles per gallon.

Having cruised in company with an Elling E4 and owned two Traders, I would be looking for either boat to be stabilised, particularly if you intend to cruise at displacement speeds.

Good luck with your search.

MapisM

Visit site
Is there anything in the design which would make her extra fuel efficient
Single screw, to start with...? :)

Fwiw, I also had the opportunity to check out a Trader 575, and if there's one thing which surely didn't impress me of that boat, it's fuel efficiency.
I also have a copy of the commissioning test sheet if you are interested, but that was done by some Chinese Cat dealer, and it's possibly the least accurate initial test report I ever came across... :ambivalence:

Last edited:

paul salliss

Visit site
Please don't convince yourself that to save fuel you will be happy going everywhere at this speed. I have just sold a single engine / large engine boat. It was a lovely boat, I loved her, and personally I was happy at that speed all day long and it was super reliable no issues on that front at all. But a very busy and congested life coupled with a desire to cruise away from home waters drove a change. My boat would do 18 Knts and happily went everywhere at 11 / 12 not using much fuel, much as the Elling would do. But just be sure that you really will be happy with that speed. It works if you have the time and we did not.

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
Thanks Paul, I appreciate your post.

We would not be under time pressures & we would intend to spend 1, 2 or 3 years in the Med. We will consider it carefully though.

Thanks.

paul salliss

Visit site
Thanks Paul, I appreciate your post.

We would not be under time pressures & we would intend to spend 1, 2 or 3 years in the Med. We will consider it carefully though.

All cool if I was in your position would probably have stuck with what I had. I do like the Elling it's a proper bit of kit

Thanks.

paul salliss

Visit site
If you are going down that route look at Aqustsr and Broom as well. And don't believe what anyone says about mooring a single. It was no drama Obama.