Tohatsu 9.8 - plugs sooted up

Jaguar 25

Visit site
We left our mooring on chichester Harbour yesterday (first time this year!) and the boat (Jag 25) would only manage 1.4 knots and the outboard did not sounded right so we headed back to the mooring. Took the plugs out and they were well sooted up. Checked the auto choke and the solenoid seemed free enough and I made sure it wasn't pulled in (to apply choke). Put in two new plugs and everything was fine in about 2 hours of motoring around.

(Tried to get the genoa out but it wouldn't unfurl, problem with the reel I think, but that's another story!)

So, re. outboard, could anyone tell me:

1. if there is anything else that could have temporarily made the mixture over-rich?

2. is the auto choke solenoid knwon to be problematical?

Any advice appreciated.

Lakesailor

Visit site
I found with the auto choke on a Johnson 70 I had that it was a good idea to check that it had indeed turned off. (The position of the solenoid lever was enough to tell you).
As it didn't like pootling about so much the less over-rich mixture at start-up the better.

gordmac

Visit site
When were the plugs last changed? Maybe they were just due changing. If you use the engine gently a lot and/or only for short periods it might not get hot enough to clean the plugs.