Tips on Antifouling

Neil

Visit site
I trailer my GRP boat to the coast when I get the chance, but it's previous owner used to keep it in the water. Hence, it was antifouled. It's looking a bit worst for wear now, and I've bought a small can of International's cruising antifoul to apply. If for no other reason but for cosmetics :)

Should I be just wire brushing the loose bits of old paint away before applying the new, or should I be sanding as much off as possible ? Is there any other preparation work to be done ?

Thanks in advance

Neil.

tony_brighton

Visit site
I guess it depends what sort of antifouling (hard, eroding etc.). Most cruisers have a 'soft eroding' antifoul in which case a good pressure wash off removes all the c**p and loose material, then simply paint over. A light wire brushing on the tough bits works but you need to be careful how hard you go at it. Also worth noting - you can usually overlay the same type of anti-foul on an existing layer, otherwise a barrier layer is needed.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
For a boat that spends the majority of its life on a trailer I would not apply any antifouling at all. The effectiveness of the stuff is now so strictly limited by legislation on antibiotics and all the other effective agents that it is almost useless anyway. Presumably if you trailer it its size is not vast, so five minutes with a brush when you haul out will get rid of anything that has accumulated.

Your best bet is to remove all the antifouling and leave the GRP surface. Don't sand or wire brush antifouling, the dust released is not good for the lungs. There are many chemical strippers that remove antifouling, Dilunet is my favourite but others may not agree with me. One very effective method, and almost the only one allowed where environmental issues are high on the agenda (e.g. Holland) is a hardened scraper that fits on to a vacuum cleaner hose. I watched a couple remove about six layers of A/F from a 30 foot boat in a weekend - hard going but it was a difficult case.

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Re: Antifouling

Neil
If you are out of the water most of time you have no need for expensive and dangerous anti fouling paints, take the plunge and remove it, your boat will look better and require a lot less maintenance.
Old Salt Oz.

G

hi
can you tell me if you have any informtion on on some antifouling ive been given as i have never seen it before it is made by international and it comes in 2 parts its called interuf 548 thank you for any help you can give me

oldsaltoz

Visit site

You said Interuf, I think you mean Intertuf. this product is described as a norrow boat blackening paint, If you go to the link below and click on "Special Products" you will see the listing. It would seem no safety data sheet is available from the web site, shame, it would have a given a good description of the intended use.

Hope this helps

http://www.yachtpaint.com/UK/

Old Salt Oz