Tips for Removing Black Mould Please ...

Mino

Have nicked the Tardis, so could be anywhere
Visit site
... specifically on the carpet like fabric lining the hull in the quarter berth and forepeak and on the underside of saloon cushions (foam with nylon covers).

Spray on mould remover, "rinse" with damp sponge and then put a humidifier in berth/cabin until it dries out?

I'm concerned as to how long this would take in winter even with said humidifier and a oil filled radiator on.

I've been googling this but would like to know what the liveaboards here have done when dealing with mould.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PlanB

Visit site
Assuming the lining fabric is vinyl, try a solution of bleach or white vinegar.
What are the cushions made from?

V1701

Visit site
AFAIK mould remover is essentially bleach so not really for use on fabric but fine for vinyl. I think well established black mould/mildew on fabric is pretty much impossible to eradicate without bleaching. You bought a boat then?

Mino

Visit site
Assuming the lining fabric is vinyl, try a solution of bleach or white vinegar.
What are the cushions made from?
Wish they were vinyl! It's a thin carpet like material that looks and feels similar to that used in a car. It's a new boat (to me) and I have no idea as to exactly what it is.

Saloon cushions are foam covered by nylon I believe.

Not on the boat right now so can't double check!

Mino

Visit site
AFAIK mould remover is essentially bleach so not really for use on fabric but fine for vinyl. I think well established black mould/mildew on fabric is pretty much impossible to eradicate without bleaching. You bought a boat then?
Hm. That’s my concern: how difficult will it be to remove it as it's a carpet like fabric, not vinyl, lining the hull in the cabins. The saloon cushion covers could be replaced if I can't remove the mould, but that would be an annoying expense.

Almost: depends on the surveyor's report as to what my final offer is.

Yngmar

Visit site
A portable upholstery/carpet washer with disinfectant added to the liquid, or a portable steam cleaner (but with small risk of the glue holding it to the hull letting go). Both leave the fabric wet, so do it on a sunny day with fresh breeze to dry or run a dehumidifier on high afterwards. Will also work on the cushions :)

Trident

Visit site
If the carpet is synthetic then a mould cleaner with bleach (like HG from most DIY and Amazon) is fine and will not stain. Only natural fabrics like cotton will be bleached so watch your jeans when spraying .

The cushions may be synthetic covers like sunbrella etc but the mould sprays tend to react with the foam underneath and make lovely brown stains creep through - don't need to guess how I know! So not for cushion covers - they have to come off and be washed hard.

A good desiccant dehumidifier will dry everything very quickly in a small space - we've done a full load of washing in the past and hung it in a shower room aboard with the dehumidifier on full blast and its dry in a few hours - wall carpets etc will be much quicker. Good luck

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I agree with Trident, the "carpet" will be synthetic and something like patio magic or any proprietary mould remover used in bathrooms will do the trick followed by drying out. As for removing it is easy, getting the residual glue of the hull is the hard part. Careful use of a hot air gun is the usual method.
However long term living on a small boat in a coldish climate you are always going to have condensation problems that will promote mould growth.

Mino

Visit site
If the carpet is synthetic then a mould cleaner with bleach (like HG from most DIY and Amazon) is fine and will not stain. Only natural fabrics like cotton will be bleached so watch your jeans when spraying .

The cushions may be synthetic covers like sunbrella etc but the mould sprays tend to react with the foam underneath and make lovely brown stains creep through - don't need to guess how I know! So not for cushion covers - they have to come off and be washed hard.

A good desiccant dehumidifier will dry everything very quickly in a small space - we've done a full load of washing in the past and hung it in a shower room aboard with the dehumidifier on full blast and its dry in a few hours - wall carpets etc will be much quicker. Good luck
Excellent , thanks. I'll give the carpet a tentative try. Other suggestions also noted.

Last edited: