Timing to enter the Ore

asj1

Home: North Bucks, Boat: Suffolk Work :central Lon
Visit site
I am planning to go up to Orford in the next week or so. I have only done it once before an dthat was about three years ago.
What is the forum's view on the best time to enter. I know one of the pilot books recommends 2 hours after LW but that seems rather risky wouldn't it be best to leave it later?

Secondly if I go beyond Orford to Aldburgh are there any visitors moorings up there.

Regards

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
As soon as is safe depending on the conditions after LW.... usually 2hrs or more as per the pilot.... don't try it on the ebb unless you have a bloody good engine and a disproportionate sense of bravado!

There is probably more water than you'd expect.... i've been in on neaps just a few mins after LW in a 1.75m fin keel!!!! (only due to piss poor planning though!)

Lots of moorings at Aldeburgh.....

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
I find that when leaving the timing is more of a challenge if especially you are heading South - I did it at LW neaps last summer (draft 1.25).

There are three or four yellow visitors moorings, just north of the last Martello tower on the Starboard side of the channel. I have always found them to be very popular. If taken can anchor opposite the Martello tower, good holding, and you save on the buoy fee.