Time to change Shamby?

No Regrets

Visit site
Having changed my old but lovely Shetland 570 a few months back (Still for sale by the way....wink wink....) and changed for the Shamby, the Rio 700, SWMBO and myself have fallen in love with boating!

Trouble is, she won't sleep in the Rio because the V berth is a bit slopey the wrong way, and too narrow at the front for anybody other than two midgets wearing KKK headwear.

The gutter is, I love the Rio for it's new-ness, phenomenal fuel consumption (just over half a gallon of red per hour) and specification, but....

The boat is a little wanderey being what it is, although I could, if I wasn't lazy, bung a sack of sand in the bow locker. Otherwise, the only issue is the lack of Wiper, making it a very cold and wet experience in the Winter, oh, and that 'wake' which is a little excessive at any speed.

Anyway....

We have seen a Haines 31, which is almost the same as a Broom Ocean 31, which is my utter favourite from an aesthetic point of view, and will apparently glide along the Thames with barely a ripple.

Any comments about these boats? She's a '99 in mint condition in every way, with a 60bhp Nanni on shaft, and as well as the fly, an internal helm with Wipers, and even Webasto heating.

Lots of money by my standards, but a dream boat in terms of looks, spec. and usability.

Smart move? Or not..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pheran

Visit site
Haines are generally a previous model Broom but with all the improvements that had been clearly necessary for years but which Broom refused to incorporate. For example, the side-decks on the old Broom 9/70 were very narrow and the source of many complaints. When Haines 'took over' the model and introduced it as their 32, they simply put a dog-leg in the previously vertical stanchions and provided an extra 3" of room. The large traditional builders really do need to listen to their customers. With all their models, Haines make a very nice boat.

ianc1200

Visit site
I've re engined with the 62 hp 5 cylinder Nanni, and assuming it's the one in the Haines, it's never let me down, having done many hours at sea with it in last 4 seasons. Good reliable engine.

IanC