Time needed to strip hull

eddystone

Visit site
My antifouling has built up over a decade plus and tend to flake when props are moved etc. What I would like to do is have it sand blasted to remove all the antifoul layers but leave the epoxy paint protection intact. I would then add 1-2 layers of new epoxy before applying antifouling. I didn't do that last winter as I was advised to leave it to dry out for 6 months after the sand blasting and that was impossible. Actually I have found better techniques and materials/tools for getting off unstable layers and fairing in so not a big problem last winter. Faced with the same situation again - not planning lift out until mid-November and needs to be relaunched mid-late March. I can't assume sandblaster will be available until say February leaving about 4 weeks at best for epoxy and anti-fouling and in the damp South West I don't think it's feasible without artificial drying in a shed which is outside current budget. Fair assumption?

jac

Visit site
Fair assumption.

I had my coppercoat removed and reapplied 2 years ago. Similar process. - Blast off the old, slap on the epoxy, make it fair then Coppercoat. I was told no point even coming out till March as it would never dry and whilst they could blast it would be too cold to apply the Epoxy before late March anyway. In the end was out for all of April and went back first week May.

If i were doing it again, i would probably just take her out for a couple of weeks in June / July - usually good discounts on yard services - the weather should be great so whilst you will lose some of the season it will be at a busy time and you'll probably be out for less time overall

eddystone

Visit site
Fair assumption.

I had my coppercoat removed and reapplied 2 years ago. Similar process. - Blast off the old, slap on the epoxy, make it fair then Coppercoat. I was told no point even coming out till March as it would never dry and whilst they could blast it would be too cold to apply the Epoxy before late March anyway. In the end was out for all of April and went back first week May.

If i were doing it again, i would probably just take her out for a couple of weeks in June / July - usually good discounts on yard services - the weather should be great so whilst you will lose some of the season it will be at a busy time and you'll probably be out for less time overall
Exactly. I need to be back in the water by mid/late March for shakedown and standing rigging replacement before heading up to Scotland for 3 months. Have to wait another year.