Timber slats for seating,

Binman

Visit site
I'm thinking of covering my cockpit seats and floor with timber slats, what thickness, thinking 50x15, what would be a good timber to use, not a huge area,could be teak? What else suitable,Ash, oak, Mahogany, iroko, or treated and stained semi hardwoods?

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
I used Iroko slats for the seats. They are 12mm thick and are fastened from below by self-tappers through the fibreglass lid using 3.2 x 16 pan-head screws. The thickness really depends on how far apart are the supports; the longer the clear span, the thicker the slat. The width is more or less like yours (not sure if they are 55mm).

Daydream believer

Visit site
I always remember one crew who complained about seat slats. He reckoned that by sitting one way for a while then at 90 degrees the other way for a while we could all play noughts & crosses on his rear end.
However, it was generally agreed we would have to always start with a "0" in the middle & spoil the game

Kelpie

Visit site
I'm thinking of covering my cockpit seats and floor with timber slats, what thickness, thinking 50x15, what would be a good timber to use, not a huge area,could be teak? What else suitable,Ash, oak, Mahogany, iroko, or treated and stained semi hardwoods?

Not ash- it's not durable enough for outdoor use.
Teak, iroko, or mahogany are all used in this sort of application.
Are you thinking of a fairly open pattern or butted up to form a solid layer?

sailorman

Visit site
I have some genuine Burmese teak, let me know sizes & i can give you a cost. lengths now up to about 6ft in stock

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Not ash- it's not durable enough for outdoor use.
Teak, iroko, or mahogany are all used in this sort of application.
Are you thinking of a fairly open pattern or butted up to form a solid layer?

+1
Ash is a particularly poor wood for boatwork.
It loves to rot in damp conditions.

Rake handles, croquet handles, broom handles, sectioned and laminated into cricket bat handles, cricket stumps, indoor furniture, and firewood, but not boats!

S.

peteK

Visit site
I would think twice about about about timber slats as it takes a lot of work keeping them looking good ,took all mine off luckily only glued on best thing
I ever done,nothing looks worse than tatty slats.

Binman

Visit site
Point taken about timber slats, but I think I will be doing the cockpit floor, a easily removal one, Sailorman, once I have measured up I will pm you. Thanks all.

Amulet

www.flickr.com
Agreed that ash is insane. (Tillers and spreaders are traditionally made from it - and some oars.)

Teak or iroko if you are not going to seal it. Teak is best. Save yourself some money. 15mm thick is way OTT. 8mm or even 6mm should be fine.

WoodyP

Visit site
There were slats for the floor and the seats when I bought my yacht. In the end I wondered why they were there as they didn't add to the comfort, and got in the way. I took them out/ off and I haven't missed them, apart from the occasional wet bum which I must admit they did prevent.