Tidy electrics

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I want to tidy the mess of data cables, plotter/vhf/ais connectors etc.

I would like to mount all connections on a board, perhaps using wago connectors.

Where can I get wago mouting clips like the ones in the pic. I think these are from a hobbiest 3d printer, but I don't have access to such.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
I want to tidy the mess of data cables, plotter/vhf/ais connectors etc.

I would like to mount all connections on a board, perhaps using wago connectors.

Where can I get wago mouting clips like the ones in the pic. I think these are from a hobbiest 3d printer, but I don't have access to such.

Any ideas?
Wago

Tranona

Visit site
You can make your own by epoxying them onto a board. You can see one in the middle of the photo

Attachments

• IMG_20220426_144226.jpg
    IMG_20220426_144226.jpg
    860.1 KB · Views: 87

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It seems a WAGO DIN rail connector may be implicated in the crash of the Dali into the Baltimore rt 95 bridge.
Dali crash investigation

I'm not banging on WAGO. They have their up-sides. But maybe they are not everything, just easier and faster ... but not more secure. We also don't know the outcome of the investigation.
The report you linked to says "A terminal block, an insulated block connecting multiple wires, was removed from the control circuit, along with two sections of control wiring. The NTSB Materials Laboratory is currently examining these components."

Not sure that means "implicated". More like they are trying to identify what went wrong.

steveeasy

Visit site
Not sure I get WAGO clips or if they are as good as people think.

What does one use them for ? And why are they better than more traditional methods of say joining 2 wires together.

Steveeasy

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
The report you linked to says "A terminal block, an insulated block connecting multiple wires, was removed from the control circuit, along with two sections of control wiring. The NTSB Materials Laboratory is currently examining these components."
The complexity of a ship wiring is probably 10 power 4-5-6...10+ with regards to a leisure boat, my pilot uncle came down with his fighter plane because of a loose bolt, if a plane came down let's immediately remove all bolts anywhere because they are unsafe :)

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Wago are super easy for use in home wiring installations. On a boat I would use crimped ring connectors with heat shrink glue terminals and a screw bus bar. All these bits are standard in boat electrics for a reason.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Wago are super easy for use in home wiring installations. On a boat I would use crimped ring connectors with heat shrink glue terminals and a screw bus bar. All these bits are standard in boat electrics for a reason.
Standard where ?

I know of all sorts of connectors being used, some of which i wouldn't touch with a barge pole. On expensive " top of the range" production boats.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com

Not sure that means "implicated". More like they are trying to identify what went wrong.
Agreed. But unless something about the unit failed I don't think they would have removed that specific one. So there is some "implication" from this action. However, there is no "implication" that the failure was due to Wago. More likely, I think, that it was an installation error, such as incorrect wire insertion or stripping. Or maybe lack of strain relief. We just don't know. We only know that they are investigating the power system.

We will wait for the report.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
ABYC is a little vague on spring/cage clamp connectors. E-11 says no wire nuts, no set screws direct against wires, and no solder-only connections, but makes no direct references, yay or nay, to this generation of connectors.

I use Wago and I like them for many things. But I also accept that they are not fool proof and not for everything.

I'm expecting it to be a combination of insufficiently robust circuit design and an installer error, and not the component itself. But that's just a guess from the peanut gallery and we'll see.

Daverw

Visit site
It seems a WAGO DIN rail connector may be implicated in the crash of the Dali into the Baltimore rt 95 bridge.
Dali crash investigation

I'm not banging on WAGO. They have their up-sides. But maybe they are not everything, just easier and faster ... but not more secure. We also don't know the outcome of the investigation.
That’s not the sort of waggo we are using but has been used for many years as the normally din rail connection used in industrial plc control panels, used with solid core control cable, pushed in and released with small terminal screwdriver pushed in the hole. The common issue is trapped outer in the connection when not stripped enough

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
How would you crimp 0.x sqmm data cables having just a handful of hair-thin copper wire filaments ?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
ABYC is a little vague on spring/cage clamp connectors. E-11 says no wire nuts, no set screws direct against wires, and no solder-only connections, but makes no direct references, yay or nay, to this generation of connectors.

I use Wago and I like them for many things. But I also accept that they are not fool proof and not for everything.

I'm expecting it to be a combination of insufficiently robust circuit design and an installer error, and not the component itself. But that's just a guess from the peanut gallery and we'll see.
No mention of them in the UK/EU ISO either. Wire nuts are also forbidden here.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
That’s not the sort of waggo we are using but has been used for many years as the normally din rail connection used in industrial plc control panels, used with solid core control cable, pushed in and released with small terminal screwdriver pushed in the hole. The common issue is trapped outer in the connection when not stripped enough
I recently re-wired the rats nest of wiring at my lower helm. Harness from engine, needs to go to the analogue gauges, digital to analogue converters etc. I chose the Wago DIN rail connectors and they work fine with stranded cable, as long as bootlace ferules are crimped onto the cables. The ferules rule out the trapped outer issue too.

20240406_131049.jpg

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Screenshot_20240711_145339_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
You can make your own by epoxying them onto a board. You can see one in the middle of the photo
Well that's a good idea.
Not sure I get WAGO clips or if they are as good as people think.

What does one use them for ? And why are they better than more traditional methods of say joining 2 wires together.

Steveeasy
. More traditional methods?
Choc block conmecters, for those very thin data wires?
Crimping small data wires?
With one of these. Less inexpensive original tools may be available... Used to assemble this sort of connector, which was the gold standard twenty years ago, no idea if they still are.
Okay, so for connecting two multicore data cables with hair thin wires that mighy do. What if ita a 3 way connection.

Its a Garmin 550 plotter (with one cable to cockpit mount and anothwr to navtable mount) a horizon HX1500E, and ais receiver.

All sharing gps data.

I know its all old hat tech, bit all works. The cable connections are just in a spaghetti like mess, and I'd like to tidy it up and give it all some order.

So it looks organised, connectiins are clearly labelled, and fuses etc easily accessible if needs be.