Tide tool from Dutch HO covers UK

kingfisher

Visit site
Eat this, UKHO!

the Dutch Hydrographical office has a downloadable tide tool on their site since a few days, together with some other more or less usefull freeware (about time someone published a Decca calculator hehe). The tide tool covers the UK as well.

Now, how long before the UKHO puts its foot down, in pure microsoft dictatorship style?

http://www.hydro.nl/pgs/en/software_en.htm

Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

G

Excellent .. thank you

Wonderful. So nice to be granted a "license to use" by the Dutch Government.

Ever since the UKHO screwed us out of the Palm Pilot tide tool, after which I wrote them a very nasty letter, I've wanted to get this again.

ROFLMAO

<hr width=100% size=1>Humperdinck

Email: HJ@Seacracker.org

snowleopard

Visit site
but...

it only covers a few ports. you can add more but you need to know all the constants (which ukho keep secret)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Apetts

Visit site
Many thanks for info. If you get hold of a copy of Admiralty publication NP 160 Tidal Harmonic Constants, which is available, you can creat new files for anywhere in the world that the constants are available. NP 160 covers most of Northern Europe.
You will probably find that the CNAV prog only works for 2003 as published. There are other annual factors, tidal angles and factors, which will probably need changing next year. It might be worth contacting the Dutch Hydrographic office to see if this is the case.
I think that the basis of the program is the Admiralty Simplified Harmonic method and for anyone interested there is an explanation of its working in "Practical navigation by computer" by Gerry Keys published by Stanford Maritime.
Good reading!

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Re: constants

Just checked the HO site and they advertise:
NP160 - Tidal Harmonic Constants (European Waters)

The ones that I remember are NP159
and NP159a which I think was their first (DOS based) UK prediction program.

They (the HO) produced a work sheet that you entered the various harmonic constants into then set to work on it with a set of log tables, slide rule or even a calculator.

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Found my NP160 and compaired some of the port constants with the Dutch settings. Slight variations, but the great thing is that I can copy their harmonic file and edit the new copy with NP160 constants and replace unwanted ports with useful ports.

Has anyone noticed how the time (minutes) go to single digit after 10AM when moving the cursor along the graph.

<hr width=100% size=1>