Tide Constants

Vegable

Visit site
Just planning a solo sail from Arisaig to Pwllheli in 2 weeks time and plan on departing from Scotland after overnighting in The Sound of Gigha.
In the sailing directions for the Sound of Gigha it states after N going and S going times:-
"Constant is approximately -0200 Oban (+0500 Dover) at springs, and -0500 Oban (+0300 Dover) at neaps"
And after 28 years of big boat sailing I suddenly realise I haven't a clue what it means. Mr Google has said something about harmonic tides and simple tides and has left me no wiser.
Can any one enlighten me please
Mike

VicS

Visit site
Just planning a solo sail from Arisaig to Pwllheli in 2 weeks time and plan on departing from Scotland after overnighting in The Sound of Gigha.
In the sailing directions for the Sound of Gigha it states after N going and S going times:-
"Constant is approximately -0200 Oban (+0500 Dover) at springs, and -0500 Oban (+0300 Dover) at neaps"
And after 28 years of big boat sailing I suddenly realise I haven't a clue what it means. Mr Google has said something about harmonic tides and simple tides and has left me no wiser.
Can any one enlighten me please
Mike

Add ( when positive) subtract (when negative) the figures ) 0200, 0500, etc to/ from the times of HW at the standard ports Oban or Dover to get the times at the secondary port ( or in this case the Sound of Gigha)
Interpolate for tides between springs and neaps.

From the almanac the north going tide begins at HW Oban + 0430 and the south going at HW Oban -0155

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest