Tidal trip

Dave1966

Visit site
To avoid the lock traffic over next week’s bank holiday I thought I’d make a trip from Teddington down to the barrier and back. I can’t get in at Chelsea or imperial wharf so it would have to be a there and back. Looking at the tide tables, going out, I guess I’d pass Richmond at around an hour after high water so won‘t need the lock. However coming back I reckon I’ll be around low water at Richmond. In the past I’ve always planned it to come up with the tide and arrive at Richmond when the weir gates were down. Looking at my charts there doesn’t appear to be much water below Richmond. Has anyone else done this near low water. I need about 1.00m

Pump-Out

Visit site
It's blinking tight.

There is a sandbank immediately in line with the lower lock gates that has (from memory) 0.8 Mts at MLWS.
The secret, coming downstream, is to turn to port as you leave the gates and steer directly for the clock tower and then trickle down the wrong side of the river. Fine until someone comes the other way!

I have done it with a draught similar to yours., but was taking it very, very gently.

Dave1966

Visit site
Thanks both of you. And yes I’ve got the Imray hard copy which is what made me realise it was tight in the first place. I think I’ll try and book a mooring at queen borough or Essex Marina and come back the next day

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
We did this in a narrow boat about 20 yars ago and there were a few occasions where the boat was picking up stones in the prop. Didn't expect it to be so shallow ! That boat had a draught of about 2ft 4 inches so in new money that'd be around 0.7m.

Dave1966

Visit site
Yes that’s what I thought. I’ll probably go down with the tide to queenborough and back with the tide the following day. Thank you

oldgit

Visit site
Queenbourgh.
You will need to find
The Admirals Arm for your evening food and pint 5 mins from pontoon entry gate.
Head and shoulders above the other rather lack lustre dives nearbys.
The lady-in-chargs who runs the place is a member of the local Sheerness lifeboat crew.
Recommended.

Parabordi

Visit site
Thanks both of you. And yes I’ve got the Imray hard copy which is what made me realise it was tight in the first place. I think I’ll try and book a mooring at queen borough or Essex Marina and come back the next day
When you pay mooring at Queenborough make sure you are sitting down, the trust has lost the plot

oldgit

Visit site
Well I never! I may grab one! that said I know every single shallow on that reach!
.....feel sure in my case have probably found every last one with a propeller blade .
No Thames trip exit is complete without hearing the dreaded tinkle tinkle of expensive bronze on gravel.
Followed shortly after the swearing stops and (when no one is looking) by quick burst at revs high enough to find out if any of the props have been bent. :unsure:

oldgit

Visit site
I’m sure the mooring fee would be irrelevant compared with cost of fuel to get there 😊
Broom owners tend to buy their fuel in pints.
Their beer always in halves, pinch the demanded straw and the beer can be made to last an entire evening or at least it is somebodies elses round again.

Last edited:

Parabordi

Visit site
Broom owners tend to buy their fuel in pints.
Their beer always in halves, pinch the demanded straw and the beer can be made to last an entire evening or at least it is somebodies elses round again.
i will remember that next time its my round, so you are happy with a half then!

Other threads that may be of interest