Three Boats Aground!

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
We came through Hamford Water today and there were two yachts aground! We then saw a third sailing boat broach and go aground. I've never seen three boats aground before, all in the same stretch of water.

snowleopard

Visit site
Years ago when I sailed out of Emsworth you would always find at least one boat aground alongside the channel at low water. The channel is pretty well marked so one wonders how they managed it.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
We used to be in Thornham, just up the road so to speak. Running ground was simple: Have a cheap digital sounder that only told you it was shallowing after the boat stopped moving and attempt to navigate the channel in the dark with only a gazillion lumen torch to seek out the withies...

I now have a shoal draft boat and a fishfinder instead of a piece of digital over-optimism.

Flapjack

Visit site
Yes, built my first boat at Paynes (now Thornham marina) and equipped it with a rotary echo sounder. Fortunately it only drew 18".

Paynes still have a small yard next to Thornham but I think it's only used for storage now as they only arrange a crane for twice a year, lift in and lift out. Lovey old yard though, lots of project boats on the hard. :)

snowleopard

Visit site
Paynes still have a small yard next to Thornham but I think it's only used for storage now as they only arrange a crane for twice a year, lift in and lift out. Lovey old yard though, lots of project boats on the hard. :)

You're quite right. I kept my previous gaffer at Paynes. The yard I built the tri in was Andrews, now Thornham marina. It was 35 years ago!

An aside - In those days the yard was run by a pair of brothers who lived in a bungalow down the lane. As a sideline they bred Chihuahuas but they kept an Irish Wolfhound as their own pet. It was hilarious to see this huge shaggy dog walking along ankle-deep in little yapping rats.

lustyd

Visit site
I was aground three times this weekend but it was on purpose. I returned to Emsworth early so that I could find out how deep my boat was. It turns out it's deeper than I thought, and my depth gauge goes mental at under a metre.
I should point out this was on a rising tide in a twin keeler traveling into the wind so don't try this at home kids!
Cheers
Dave

PetiteFleur

Visit site
We went aground after leaving Methersgate on the Deben after lunch - it was low water and my friend was steering - he missed one of the port hand buoys and was aiming for the second! managed to get off in reverse - just embarrassing!

Wansworth

Visit site

I kept a dinghy there in the late 60 before the Thornham Marina was even a twinkle in the eye of the developer!!Although now Paynes has been developed...it has a mixed sex toilet cubicle with toilet paper....long may it last!

Leighb

Visit site
Close to Start Point as your turn to go up to Titchmarsh. We heard the Walton lifeboat being called out today as yet another boat had gone aground, close to the windfarm. A 26 foot bilge keeler.

Start Point?? Did you mean Stone Point?

There have been some changes to the buoyage there that reflect movement of Stone Point. In any case it is a favourite place for people to go aground as it is very easy to inadvertently miss out one of the red buoys near Island Point.

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
Start Point?? Did you mean Stone Point?

There have been some changes to the buoyage there that reflect movement of Stone Point. In any case it is a favourite place for people to go aground as it is very easy to inadvertently miss out one of the red buoys near Island Point.

Yes, Stone Point.