Thornycroft bmc 1500 parts

Hidde

Visit site
Hee hello,

I have a question regarding the thornycroft bmc 1500, I have a engine with a mechanical rev counter. I have found and bought a broken thornycroft bmc 1500 with a electric rev counter (for spare parts) . They look similar but can I use all/some the parts to replace parts on my original engine, or is that not possible

Many thanks

Boater Sam

Visit site
Hee hello,

I have a question regarding the thornycroft bmc 1500, I have a engine with a mechanical rev counter. I have found and bought a broken thornycroft bmc 1500 with a electric rev counter (for spare parts) . They look similar but can I use all/some the parts to replace parts on my original engine, or is that not possible

Many thanks
I am assuming you mean engine parts not tacho bits as they are obviously different.
The base engine will be the same, the mechanical tacho was driven off the dynamo?
The electronic one will be driven by either a tiny generator or by the alternator "w" terminal?
The 1.5D BMC diesel is very common still, all parts are still available.
There are 3 different water pumps and very early ones had different rear main bearing sealing arrangements.
There are several different sump pans and rocker covers.

Hidde

Visit site
I am assuming you mean engine parts not tacho bits as they are obviously different.
The base engine will be the same, the mechanical tacho was driven off the dynamo?
The electronic one will be driven by either a tiny generator or by the alternator "w" terminal?
The 1.5D BMC diesel is very common still, all parts are still available.
There are 3 different water pumps and very early ones had different rear main bearing sealing arrangements.
There are several different sump pans and rocker covers.
Yes, for more context I have one that was made for a car and one made for a tractor. Does that make a difference.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Get yourself a copy of the workshop manual

BMC Leyland 1500L Diesel Workshop Manual | PDF | Transport | Car

What is the electric tach you have for your diesel engine

I have a old Leyland engine that I fitted a tach generator on the injector pump to drive a compatible tacho and a alternator driven tachometer in the cockpit

There are also tachometers that use a pulse generator to send pulses to the tachometer

Both are manufactured by VDO but the name on then could be different.

Diesel Tachometers - VDO Tachometers - VDO - Gauges VDO from Vehicle Controls

https://www.maritimusboote.de/VDO-g...and-tachometer-speed-difference-Diesel-3000-1

https://gaugesvdo.com/products/c1340-other-sender-sensors-switches/

Also trad this thread

https://forums.ybw.com/threads/vdo-tachometer.520677/

Boater Sam

Visit site
Yes, for more context I have one that was made for a car and one made for a tractor. Does that make a difference.
I have not seen any for the tractors. There may be a difference on the rear of the block, the cars and boat engines used a flat steel backplate behind the flywheel but tractors bolt the block onto the bellhousing extension of the gearbox as they have no chassis. There will likely be no engine resilient mountings on a tractor engine either.
Internally I would expect no differences.