This Forum should be stopped...

puddock

Me: Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Boat: Lossiemouth
Visit site
After a year of 'popping in' occassionaly, I feel I am in danger of giving the Jester Challenge some serious thought (though it wouldn't be within the next couple of years).
The main problem for me would be, do I sell my current boat (Westerly Storm 33) to finance and prepare for the challenge or do I buy ANOTHER, smaller, boat and spend a few years getting it into shape?

Oh God, the wife is going to love this !

Ceirwan

Visit site
Well if you can't do it for a few years anyway then I would suggest getting one to do up!
The advantage of stripping a boat down completely is you know everything about it.

Wansworth

Visit site
I thought thre jester race was more a state of mind ,33 feet is not too big and you could give the smaller boats a head start by staying in the pub a few more G+t

puddock

Me: Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Boat: Lossiemouth
Visit site
Although an excellent boat, I like the idea of preparing a smaller boat (with the correspondingly smaller budget). The Storm is a boat that my wife and I both want to keep and cruise for years to come, so I don't think she'd like the idea of me chopping bits out etc.
I have somewhere fairly local to me where I could store it and work on ia smaller craft.
Realistically, I think the earliest I could enter (without a divorce) would be 2014 but hopefully I could have the boat finished well before that - 2012 ish - allowing time on the water to iron out problems, fine tune and learn to get the best from her in different conditions.

mcapel

Visit site
I would sell that boat; much too big. Sailing the Jester in a 33-footer is for paper hankies. :D

After a year of 'popping in' occassionaly, I feel I am in danger of giving the Jester Challenge some serious thought (though it wouldn't be within the next couple of years).
The main problem for me would be, do I sell my current boat (Westerly Storm 33) to finance and prepare for the challenge or do I buy ANOTHER, smaller, boat and spend a few years getting it into shape?

Oh God, the wife is going to love this !

Noddy

Visit site
I would sell that boat; much too big. Sailing the Jester in a 33-footer is for paper hankies. :D

I don't know chum.

I did JAC08 in a 30 foot cat. It was a living hell:

The deep fat fryer absolutely refused to work, and at one stage I thought the ice cream maker was going to give out as well.

Never underestimate the power of the sea!

P