This could be a scam!!

rivonia

Visit site
Hi all. Please watch out for the latest thing going around. Here is how it works;

A young man will walk up to you and say Hi, remember me, I said no I dont think so. Then he says in the marina restaurant, I remember you. So to be polite I say Oh yes. Then comes a sob story= His wife has breast cancer and is in Hospital, He has not eaten for a week, he has not had a cigarette and has no money! Can you just lend him €20.00 and he will repay you next monday. At this point I informed him I also had no money, with that he just walked away.

Peter

Csail

N/A
Visit site
We had the same in Spain a bit ago but he was after a fag.....the box on the table was empty but he went mental when he saw me light up further down the street.....not sure how he is in hospital now but deserved it.Similar happened in Egypt but that was for money, watch etc.
Parents had the same in S.America....best not to wear watches and carry just enough cash that you might need.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Here's another variation of the Nigerian collection, received yesterday. Googling 'Solid Rock' is interesting.

Dear Lucky Winner,

This is to inform you that your email ID has won you prize money of USD$950,000.00(Nine hundred and fifty Thousand United States Dollars) for this Year Lottery promotion which was organized by Solid Rock Company, Your Email-ID was selected by the Microsoft Corporation which Always Supplied The Company With Fifty Thousand Email Addresses Of Active Internet Users Yearly, And Your Email Address Was Submitted as one Of the Active Internet Users For the Year 2011.After Email Address have Been Submitted to us for the Random Selection By Microsoft Corporation, We only select five people as our winners, through electronic balloting System without the winner applying.

These are your identification numbers:
Ref: SR/26510460/2011
Batch: 24/00319/SR
Winning number: SR/09788/2011

VERIFICATION AND FUNDS RELEASE FORM
-------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Full Names...
2. Country...
3. ADDRESS...
4. Sex...
5. Date of Birth...
6. Occupation...
7. Telephone Number...
8. FAX...

To file for your claim, please fill and submit your verification form to our fiduciary manager immediately via email.

(CLAIMS MANAGER)
Contact Person: Mr. Adams Williams.
Email: adamswilliams88@gala.net
Tel: +27 782 914 340

Congratulation Once More and Please Do Not Forget to help the poor in the society when Solid Rock Company makes you a Beneficiary.

Yours Faithfully,
Mrs. Mary Edward
Promotion Online Announcer,
Solid Rock Company.

kid's inheritance

Visit site
Hi all. Please watch out for the latest thing going around. Here is how it works;

A young man will walk up to you and say Hi, remember me, I said no I dont think so. Then he says in the marina restaurant, I remember you. So to be polite I say Oh yes. Then comes a sob story= His wife has breast cancer and is in Hospital, He has not eaten for a week, he has not had a cigarette and has no money! Can you just lend him €20.00 and he will repay you next monday. At this point I informed him I also had no money, with that he just walked away.

Peter

This scam is used anywhere tourists are adjudged not to be able to tell "johnny foreigners" apart.So far "I am a waiter at your hotel " in Gambia that ended up in a fake orphanage (so well done that when I was shown how the whole scam worked I still didn't really mind the donation ), I am a waiter at your hotel in Marrakesh and Turkey that when challenged "which hotel then?" , exit both gentlemen.The follow up line can be they have just got married and could you photo him and bride , there is an exhibition on down this side street etc.
Shame really as I try to chill on trips but a modicum of cynicism usually works
Rob

Davy_S

Visit site
Another useful tip, if you must give your camera to a total stranger so that he can take a piccy of you and your Mrs. Make sure you choose a fat barsteward, then if he runs off with your camera, you can catch him and give him a kicking!

DownWest

Visit site
Always been a sucker on listening to people with hard luck stories. But it gives a certain quality control. Young guy in Faro told me his. Been dumped by employer, needed some money to get by till..... I bought him a sandwich. 4 days later he gave me the same tale, but had no recollection that I had helped him before.
In another thread, I said I stopped giving lifts. Simply because, with rare exceptions, the were hookers or asking for money. A few years earlier, they just needed the lift. I gave my neighbours wife and child a lift to the bigger town for a medical exame.(They had no car) No big deal I as going there anyway. A couple of years later, I bumped into her grand father (92) He remarked that " They don't forget things like that" . Nothing to me, something for them..Humbling.
A

Visit site
I got caught (yes, I know) by a sob story about locking himself out of his flat and needing the train fare to get work.

When the next one tried it, I told him about the previous incident and that I was happy for him to have a fiver but he would have to go and find the previous guy and get the money from him.
I don't know why he got stroppy, I even told him that he didn't need to pay me back. ;)

suebabsthenoo

Visit site
Beggars belief

landlubber tale...in Jan in the dark just before return to Greece a woman ran out of the shadows on the South circ in Hither Green,not even the worst place in that area and sobs????my boyfriend has left, my kids haven't eaten for a week..."get a job like I had to" says I,she went back to her shadow.
Saw a gaggle of lads cheerfully arrive at their doorways with their sleeping bags in the Strand as I was going to work early one dismal morn.
Begging in the right places with or without a story(not on the pavement on the south circ mind)and certainly in big cities or around tourists is a nice little earner.
If you HAVE to give donate to a charity.....hmmmm are some of them even kosher?

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
begging

what to do. at the traffic lights old woman with stick. white hair holds out hand for coins,10 rps is 7 p . this will feed her one meal of dal, probably widow no income.young woman with baby demands 50rps . organised begging ignore. young kids with amputaded hand , arm or leg. organised crime ignore( Though its hard). . old fellow with crutch and medals. maybe genuine but old soldiers usually have their own support groupsl. if you want to be charitable
support hospitals that give free treatment to the destitute. We pay top rate to free hospitals
usually about £4 per treatment. most doctors have european training. and the larger commercial hospitals make our nhs look as a third rate alternative at 25% of the price.
India is now a on the medical tourist trade with a vengeance.sorry for fred drift