Thinking of fliting to the Canaries. Advice please.

pcatterall

Visit site
Our yacht is in group ownership and an idea has been floated suggesting we move from Valencia ( Burriana) to 'somewhere' in the Canary Islands.
Idea is all round weather and variety of places to sail to.
We are looking for a good marina as a 12 month base. The usual advantages of shopping, eating parking, touring inland, car hire, travel to airport etc apply!
Cost is also important.
All advice appreciated!

capnsensible

Visit site
Our yacht is in group ownership and an idea has been floated suggesting we move from Valencia ( Burriana) to 'somewhere' in the Canary Islands.
Idea is all round weather and variety of places to sail to.
We are looking for a good marina as a 12 month base. The usual advantages of shopping, eating parking, touring inland, car hire, travel to airport etc apply!
Cost is also important.
All advice appreciated!

Morning. We moved to Marina Rubicon, Lanzarote for just about all the reasons you list.

It can be quite windy around the islands for a lot of the year so its not an easy place like Greece Ionian for example, but through the summer a cruise around the other islands is often pleasant in short stages.

Rubicon is rarely full and discounts of 40% for stays of 6 months apply. There is no extra charge for water and electricity.

Fire away if you have more questions or PM, happy to assist. :encouragement:

RAI

Visit site
I think that Las Palmas Gran Canaria has the cheapest annual charge. Personally, I prefer La Gomera, but then I avoid crowds.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
Ive been to the main marina there a few times. I think I know why its cheap......:ambivalence:

There's a lot more than one reason why its so cheap . . . . . could be a long list . . . . . . but it has its uses as well . . . . . on balance I agree that Lanzarote is best for longer term berthing and cruising and if I were heading back that's where I would be based