Thickening polyester resin

Ardenfour

Visit site
I'm aware of the various thickening agents for use with epoxy resin, can I use the same products with polyester to make a thick paste? I'm planning to modify the mast rake by altering the existing wedge below the tabernacle, so has to be fairly strong and resist cracking/compression.

Attachments

• 20240402_161119.jpg
    20240402_161119.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I'm aware of the various thickening agents for use with epoxy resin, can I use the same products with polyester to make a thick paste? I'm planning to modify the mast rake by altering the existing wedge below the tabernacle, so has to be fairly strong and resist cracking/compression.
Yes. I have used Cabosil/colloidal silica many times.

William_H

Visit site
I did the same using chopped strand mat in multiple layers tapering in area to provide wedge shape. Very strong. But yes any thickener for epoxy will be good for polyester. (even talcum powder. ) ol'will

Keith 66

Visit site
Bear in mind that Colloidal silica sold by West is considerably more expensive than Cabosil & is effectively the same stuff, as said brittle on its own so add choppies first.

Rappey

Visit site
Cheapest has to be car body filler. It's virtualy uncrushable, easy to mould and sand and very durable with a coat of paint, and grp sticks very nicely to it.

DownWest

Visit site
Cheapest has to be car body filler. It's virtualy uncrushable, easy to mould and sand and very durable with a coat of paint, and grp sticks very nicely to it.
Yes, but it is porous. As I found many years ago, when usig it to seal a test piece for a pressure test.