The yacht club

Wansworth

Visit site
Back in1966 my father decided that the Arjun Yacht Club was were we should keep our sloop.To the novice sailer I didn’t question his choice yet it had an effect on my whole life.The yacht club stood between the mud and the sand.On the sand groups of people launched Enterprises and fireballs and had regatters.On the mud side was a collection of tore out old wooden boats.Launching was reliant on the tide or pushing the boat down the mud into the river.We never got to know the enterprise people and we sailed as the tide permittedwhereas the others had launching trollies.Although on one occassion my brother and I borrowed a fireball,it was very blustery and To claw back to the harbour entrance I cobbled up a reef in the mainsail…….whichthe classcaptain was quite miffed and that was the end of that.From this ostracism I took up single handed sailing although I managed to invite an enterprise girl out in the sloop she seemed at loss what to doin aboat without jamming cleats…..our relation didn’t flower as hoped.The conclusion looking back is if my father had bought an Enterprise I would have been on the sandy side of the yacht club instead of in the mud and ploughing through the sea singlehanded ……until I met my Spanish wife😏

Bouba

Visit site
Back in1966 my father decided that the Arjun Yacht Club was were we should keep our sloop.To the novice sailer I didn’t question his choice yet it had an effect on my whole life.The yacht club stood between the mud and the sand.On the sand groups of people launched Enterprises and fireballs and had regatters.On the mud side was a collection of tore out old wooden boats.Launching was reliant on the tide or pushing the boat down the mud into the river.We never got to know the enterprise people and we sailed as the tide permittedwhereas the others had launching trollies.Although on one occassion my brother and I borrowed a fireball,it was very blustery and To claw back to the harbour entrance I cobbled up a reef in the mainsail…….whichthe classcaptain was quite miffed and that was the end of that.From this ostracism I took up single handed sailing although I managed to invite an enterprise girl out in the sloop she seemed at loss what to doin aboat without jamming cleats…..our relation didn’t flower as hoped.The conclusion looking back is if my father had bought an Enterprise I would have been on the sandy side of the yacht club instead of in the mud and ploughing through the sea singlehanded ……until I met my Spanish wife😏
Tell us more about how you were sailing the Spanish Main and met your wife 😀

dancrane

Visit site
To claw back to the harbour entrance I cobbled up a reef in the mainsail…at which the class captain was quite miffed...that was the end of that.
He sounds a complete arse, you did well to be ostracised.

Where is/was Arjun? Google Maps is not finding it.

B27

Visit site
We did a few dinghy events at Arun YC, they are good hosts.
The tide there always seems to flow out when you're trying to sail in, even when the tide is rising.
Freshwater from the river flows over the incoming salt water from the sea, which is denser.

dancrane

Visit site
Surely the difference in density (less than 3%) doesn't create distinct layers of fresh over salt water? I'd expect them to mix pretty thoroughly.