The Weather

JimC

Visit site
Is it my imagination or is the weather getting steadily worse & windier year after year? I don't know about the South and East coasts where I guess most forumites sail, but up here in the North West we are regularly getting weeks on end of strong blustery winds, often with rain. My twin-keeler is still ashore because there hasn't yet been a weekend when (a) the weather's been fit to launch, (b) there's been a sufficient depth of water over the club slipway and (c) I've had the necessary free time. I've slept aboard several times and I can't remember a time when the wind has rocked her so violently on her trailer or shrieked so loudly in her and her neighbours' rigging. Last weekend was mostly 5 and 6 gusting 7 and I wouldn't have wanted to be out in the Irish Sea even if I could have launched - it's supposed to be pleasure after all. I'm starting to wonder if the game's worth the candle.

Whiskey Bravo

Visit site
Well here in the Peak District it's hardly rained since Feb, the golf course is parched. We had a great sunny long weekend with just the right amount of wind over 4 days in March in the Solent and a great weekend from Conway, mainly F5 & 6 2 weeks ago. You must be in the wrong place at the wrong time, sorry.:)

Babylon

Visit site
Its some kind of consequence of a change in the climate; whether this is medium-term or long-term no-one knows. For several years now we haven't had the proper April showers we always used to have - with the corollory that it has rained harder and more ruinously in June, July or August. We're definately in some kind of period of changed weather, but for how long and whether its structural I cannot even hazard a guess.

Cue Simon K...

lustyd

Visit site
I'm pretty sure March was good all over the country, as was early April. The main problem seems to be that (shall we say more experienced) sailors have always put the boat in at a certain time of year, May for instance. Everyone seems to ignore the fact that May-July have now become some of the worst months where March, April, August and September are very good indeed.

The trick is, launch your boat in February and go out every time there is good weather. Even better, leave it in all year and have a lift out for 2 weeks in July when it's raining :)

jimi

Visit site
Is it my imagination or is the weather getting steadily worse & windier year after year? I don't know about the South and East coasts where I guess most forumites sail, but up here in the North West we are regularly getting weeks on end of strong blustery winds, often with rain. My twin-keeler is still ashore because there hasn't yet been a weekend when (a) the weather's been fit to launch, (b) there's been a sufficient depth of water over the club slipway and (c) I've had the necessary free time. I've slept aboard several times and I can't remember a time when the wind has rocked her so violently on her trailer or shrieked so loudly in her and her neighbours' rigging. Last weekend was mostly 5 and 6 gusting 7 and I wouldn't have wanted to be out in the Irish Sea even if I could have launched - it's supposed to be pleasure after all. I'm starting to wonder if the game's worth the candle.

I agree , we usually get a good early spell and then itjust goes rubbish not wet but cold windy and cloudy

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
We sailed on the East Coast last weekend. It was very windy and gusty and on Sunday when we sailed back to Burnham, it was flippin cold as well!

[448]

Visit site
Jim, I'm not far away from you, but April was a wonderfull month, even having to water the garden. However, May has been diabolical so far, week of strong dry easterlies and a week of strong wet SE to SW erlies.
Dave

Lakesailor

Visit site
I agree with Jim. The weather has been good early in the year and rubbish in mid-summer.
That's not unusual for the Lakes. May and September have always been the best months.
However this year March and April were fantastic. Lots of windless days however, in April we went out for at least two motor cruises and I spent most of a day on the lake with a local forumite, without wind (atmospheric, at least).
Now the weather is appalling. Rain, very blustery winds, dull.
The contrast is increasing, I am sure.
August often seemed to be a bit drizzly and misty, let's see how it is this year.

As we ran a B&B the weather was a constant talking point with guests so I have a good feel for it in a hands-on way.
Not what the Met office tells us has happened, but how it affects the day to day business of enjoying leisure time.

Early March

Promart.jpg

Late March

GrangePromTideIn.jpg

Early April

Pillage2.jpg

Late April

BiskeyHowe2.jpg

Last Saturday

Classboatrace_57.jpg