The very first boat I wanted to buy. At Hoo Marine.

Binman

Visit site
The very first boat I thought of buying was in 1978, when I had just got married and lived in a long caravan on the corner as you approached the moorings quay side. It was a Vanderstadt Bemudian rigged, with a Stuart turner in board, from memory it slept two, the guy wanted £1400 pounds for it. The name and model eludes me, all though I did send off for outline drawings It was Mahogany ribs with ply sheathing, lovely little boat, can't remember what keel it had either, but just maybe someone on here brought it, I will try and find the drawings for it, would they be any good to anyone, they would be free plus postage, thought they might suit a person who has a great love for the pass wooden boats I found a list of all his boats but none come to mind, so I'm going to have to get up in my loft. Ended up with a Pandora 700 one of his boats.

Seajet

Visit site
I thought the Van De Stadt Splinter was grp, or maybe that was a later version ?

Lovely boat either way.

If you have a KallKwik printing house or similar handy, they can copy big drawings like A3 onto discs which may be easier to post, and would leave you with the originals; they're going to be valuable one day, if only to frame and hang on your walls !

Hope you meet up with your one-time dreamboat, these things usually seem to work out if one has patience.

Binman

Visit site
Debonair, you are spot on, I recognised the name straight away, I dearly wanted to build one of theses, I did price up all the materials at the time, I think it worked out about £5000. Having just got married,and renting the caravan from my parents, it was a no go, As it took a few years before we had our own house, then time passes by and here I am at 70, with a similar boat the Pandora, Trying to get some photo's from the net, but only found one from South Africa not a good one though.

Binman

Visit site
I've found 15 of these boats on a southafrica web site, called Brick7, which is there Gumtree web site, some are wooden cost R 10,000 upwards, didn't the Dutch Colonies SouthAfrica, that would be the link, there are so many there. A Rand equals .052 of a pound, so they start from £5000 up to over £20,000 for GRP model.

Last edited: