The Mercy

Gwylan

Visit site
Mixed feelings. Hard to imagine going to sea with a boat in such a state. Then the radio works perfectly. And the inflatable lashed on deck for a circumnavigation?

Worth watching but not for the sailing or boat bits.

Watched it with H.I.D.
At the end her response was that she was relieved I had sold the boat.

nortada

Visit site
Mixed feelings. Hard to imagine going to sea with a boat in such a state. Then the radio works perfectly. And the inflatable lashed on deck for a circumnavigation?

Worth watching but not for the sailing or boat bits.

Watched it with H.I.D.
At the end her response was that she was relieved I had sold the boat.

The Mercy is currently available for download on BBC iPlayer.

affinite

Visit site
I just watched "All is Lost" again on Amazon Prime Video - its still a dreadful film and hasn't improved since the last time I watched it!

RR managed to sleep through a container bashing a hole in the side of his boat !
I cant imagine that I would not utter a single word upon discovering said hole

Quiz
When standing in the saloon you discover water sloshing around your ankles - oh and the electric bilge pump is not working - what would you do ?

A) Have a shave
B) Put out a distress call with the words "this is an SOS call ..."
C Have another nap
D) All of the above

PS - I quite enjoyed "The Mercy"

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
I'm going to have to watch All is Lost again. I half remember it as being unrealistic in some pretty basic sailing details, which obviously compromises it a bit, but also satisfyingly gripping as calamity piles on to calamity. Redford, all but silent, gives a bravura solo performance (if flawed from the sailing p.o.v).
Wikipedia reports " . . . the film has been criticized in the sailing world for being unrealistic, in particular for the lack of certain safety equipment deemed standard for sailboats navigating the open ocean such as an EPIRB, and other bad decisions of the main character.
An exception to this criticism is English Yachting Monthly, for which Dick Durham claimed: "Certainly the film is authentic and grippingly realistic." Director Chandor himself, [ . . ] says he went sailing with his parents when young and later a few times as an adult . . .
"

All_is_Lost_poster.jpg

Prior to All is Lost, J C Chandor wrote and directed the excellent Margin Call film about the 2007 Wall Street financial crash (although I think that The Big Short is even better).

Last edited: