The Last Liveaboard

Vidaia

Visit site
So I've been browsing the posts on the site and, as far as I can tell, absolutely no-one lives on their boat in the UK, although some have done it at some time in the past.

A lot of the posts about this are from years back, which leads me to question whether the shackles of society have been pulled too tight in recent years for anyone to even attempt to do this.

Now, while I am aware of the marginalisation of anyone wanting to live an alternative lifestyle in this country, and the social conditioning machine that goes, there must be at least someone who flies in the face of convention?

The strange thing is this doesn't seem to be true of other countries, where this is actively discussed on the forums, but I suppose that goes back to the social conditioning argument again.

As far as I can tell from what I've read so far, you can't live at marinas, you can't live on a swing mooring, you can't live at anchor, it just can't be done - go and buy a caravan, etc.

What I'd really like to know is are there actually any liveaboards in the UK or did everyone go and buy the caravan as per the well meaning advice in almost every forum post on the subject, or am I the last liveaboard?

If there are any full time liveaboards I would love to hear from you as I value your experience the most. As the summer season is coming into view, and the cost of marina berthing will triple in price, just where do you go (assuming you stay in the UK that is), or will you all be turfed out an forced to go and live in caravans and canal boats?

I suppose I'm still holding out that there may just be a small community of liveaboards who have found hidden pockets and spaces in which to live in this country, although if the members of a sailing forum such as this seem so unanimously opposed to the idea, I'm really not too sure!

Vidaia

Visit site
Lots of folk live aboard in marinas and also on moorings. Where did you get an idea that we don't?

That's good to know. I was starting to think it was something that was discussed but that not many actually did in practice. Plus, I've been with the boat for a couple of months now and have never really seen anyone else spending much time on theirs. So I got to thinking about locations to move on to but most every option looked to be a dead end for one reason or another. I suppose you could say I'm still working things out, being new at this.

And agreed to leaving for warmer climates! Once I get there, I certainly won't be in a hurry to come back.

Old Harry

Visit site
That's good to know. I was starting to think it was something that was discussed but that not many actually did in practice. Plus, I've been with the boat for a couple of months now and have never really seen anyone else spending much time on theirs. So I got to thinking about locations to move on to but most every option looked to be a dead end for one reason or another. I suppose you could say I'm still working things out, being new at this.

And agreed to leaving for warmer climates! Once I get there, I certainly won't be in a hurry to come back.
Good decision enjoy

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I think most full time liveaboard who not depending on work are living in warmer country's, them who do need to work are bearing the cold winters.
But as said I sure there many around the UK in marinas

laika

Visit site
Lots of folk live aboard in marinas and also on moorings. Where did you get an idea that we don't?

The majority of posters to this sub-forum do seem to be retirees who use "liveaboard" as a synonym for "retiree bobbing about the med for half the year" so if you didn't bother to scroll down to threads on uk-related stuff like signing up for doctors without an official address you might be mislead. Not completely sure what the point of the original post here is though. Yes people live on their boats in the UK. Having a flag which says "liveaboard" is contrary to both the rules of many marinas and the rules of aesthetics.

Visit site
Brighton marina has over 300 live aboards. Most of the boats are not in a sea worthy condition, but some do cruise. This notion that marinas will not accept liveaboards is false, it is normally at the managers descrietion. Most (but not all) keep a low profile.

V1701

Visit site
Brighton marina has over 300 live aboards. Most of the boats are not in a sea worthy condition, but some do cruise. This notion that marinas will not accept liveaboards is false, it is normally at the managers descrietion. Most (but not all) keep a low profile.

I've been a permanent full time liveaboard for nearly 10 years now in Brighton. I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying most are not seaworthy but there are certainly some that are extremely unseaworthy. Even Brighton's berthing contract states no living aboard but it also states something like you can only spend a maximum of 40 nights in the marina which is just ridiculous and unenforceable, especially in such a huge marina.

To the OP, I think most UK marinas have a few liveaboards who perhaps tend to keep their heads down, most marinas will tolerate a few and a few marinas definitely will not tolerate any. Most UK liveaboards are marina based and working, you could get away with living on a mooring in some places in the UK but if you have to work much less easily. And yes it's surprising how many boats there are in marinas where you rarely see anyone go anywhere near them let alone take them off their berth...

EDIT - and per sailaboutvic's post, as soon as I no longer have to work I'm buggering off elsewhere where the weather isn't so shitty...

Last edited:
Visit site
So I've been browsing the posts on the site and, as far as I can tell, absolutely no-one lives on their boat in the UK, although some have done it at some time in the past.

A lot of the posts about this are from years back, which leads me to question whether the shackles of society have been pulled too tight in recent years for anyone to even attempt to do this.

Now, while I am aware of the marginalisation of anyone wanting to live an alternative lifestyle in this country, and the social conditioning machine that goes, there must be at least someone who flies in the face of convention?

The strange thing is this doesn't seem to be true of other countries, where this is actively discussed on the forums, but I suppose that goes back to the social conditioning argument again.

As far as I can tell from what I've read so far, you can't live at marinas, you can't live on a swing mooring, you can't live at anchor, it just can't be done - go and buy a caravan, etc.

What I'd really like to know is are there actually any liveaboards in the UK or did everyone go and buy the caravan as per the well meaning advice in almost every forum post on the subject, or am I the last liveaboard?

If there are any full time liveaboards I would love to hear from you as I value your experience the most. As the summer season is coming into view, and the cost of marina berthing will triple in price, just where do you go (assuming you stay in the UK that is), or will you all be turfed out an forced to go and live in caravans and canal boats?

I suppose I'm still holding out that there may just be a small community of liveaboards who have found hidden pockets and spaces in which to live in this country, although if the members of a sailing forum such as this seem so unanimously opposed to the idea, I'm really not too sure!

Are you a journalist on a fishing expedition?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Rule One for anyone living aboard in the UK is ‘keep your head down’. The very last thing that a marina manager likes to see is a chap from the district council looking for unpaid council tax. Marinas need to keep up excellent relationships with the district and county councils.

V1701

Visit site
Rule One for anyone living aboard in the UK is ‘keep your head down’. The very last thing that a marina manager likes to see is a chap from the district council looking for unpaid council tax. Marinas need to keep up excellent relationships with the district and county councils.

The last time I checked the law stated that if you have exclusive access to a residential mooring with planning permission then you are liable for council tax. Marina berthing contracts usually stipulate that the marina reserves the right to move your boat, hence you don't have exclusive access to a berth which is non-residential anyway. Whether or not we should pay council tax is a separate question...