The last hippy Bastion

mandlmaunder

Visit site
Coral Bay St John has finally seen the long arm of the law descend on it this past week or 2.
DPNR arrived and issued notices to all on shore and abandoned vessels that the end has arrived.
No More unregistered boats
No More floating derelicts
No More ignoring the holding tank laws
No More unregistered moorings
No More tying to the mangroves when you leave your boat for 6 months

And all the law abiding boaters said " about bloody time too" and are happy with the out come.

So the last strong hold of American floating hippydom is going the way of all things free and fun.

All those of you who have come through in the past will be saddened by the changes but the Law and the mighty tourist $ win the last round.

demonboy

www.youtube.com
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my father last year as we cruised around Skopia Limani and dropped our anchor in Seagull Bay:

I thought my father's aversion to Turkey joining the EU was some hidden issue he had with Turks or Muslims (despite the fact he's visited us in Turkey four times now!). That was until he pointed out the jetty at Seagull Bay.

"You see all this here?", he asked, as he pointed towards the jetty, the run-down building vaguely disguised as a kitchen, the chickens, dogs and donkeys wandering aimlessly around the restaurant area. "If Turkey were to join the EU all this would go. The health and safety regulations would hammer a place like this and it would either have to be razed or it would have to adhere to very high building and health standards. Either way you would lose the rustic charm that this and other anchorages in Turkey offer the cruiser".

As liveaboards I'm guessing most of us will agree that this is not the way we want the world to go, be it Turkey or the Virgin Isles.

JamesFrance

Sant Carles Marina, Spain and Carcassonne
Visit site
Cruising in the 70s our favourite places were the ones frequented by the hippies. St Tropez, Ibiza town, Formentera and Cadaques.

Our favourite eating place in Cadaques was called Casa Anita, where the cooking was done on a hotplate by the door and we all used to share the same large table with a lot of exotic looking people of all nationalities. Now we cannot afford to eat there as it is an expensive restaurant and has lost it's character anyway.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
We were in Coral Bay in 1992 and one of the laid back residents told me that Coral Bay was the place for those that found Key West (that other hippy destination) too formal!
We drank at Skinny Legs when it was a shack. We bought vegetables in the bar at Sputniks - what a place that was!
Oh well, progress, I suppose.

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
So my question is, where are the hippy bastions now? Yes, it's all very sad that they're disappearing, but the fact is, they pop up somewhere else... The world is a big place.

The hundreds of islands around SE Asia? Micronesia? Somewhere else entirely?

mandlmaunder

Visit site
Hi Salty
Skinny's is still there but now turns over about 500 covers a day as one of the USA's top restaurants , as for Sputnics I am listening to Innervisions play right now while I am 1 mile out in the bay.
Having said that Skinny's is still Coral Bay town hall and the headquarters of the Coral Bay YC that I am commodore of and Sputnics does a great Goat and potato roti.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif