The Italians have arrived

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Having a nice afternoon under the castle in Corfu 8 boats at anchor .
Three hours later , there must be over 50 boats , mostly Italians .
Now I love the Italians , there are wonderful people .
But they do like to shout , so it's an understatement to say it's noisy .
I think there not going to be much sleeping to night .
I wonder how many will go and buy a new DEPKA, not many I bet .

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Early arrivals?

When we were in the Med we worked on the Italian Armada arriving the first weekend after 1st July and departing by the first weekend of September.

Try spending a season sharing the Bahamas with the Muricans, you'll soon feel a whole lot better about the Italians.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Early arrivals?

When we were in the Med we worked on the Italian Armada arriving the first weekend after 1st July and departing by the first weekend of September.

Try spending a season sharing the Bahamas with the Muricans, you'll soon feel a whole lot better about the Italians.
Hey guys , nothing wrong with the Italian , has I said we love them , we found them always helpful when we sail in Italy.
Ok I have to say at times the Ionian do bring out the worst in them but then I think that's the cast with most sailor no matter where they come from

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Italians as a whole are lovely folks - no really, I've got some very good Italian friends who are terrific company and will go out of their way to help you. Yes, they're loud and sometimes their boat handling skills are a bit rusty but they do provide some great entertainment - assuming it's not your pride and joy that's about to get crunched.....

Metabarca

Visit site
I think you're confusing Southern and Northern Italians... who are about as closely related as two similar extremes in the UK. Still, better noisy Italians in boats than noisy Brits in soccer scarves...

RupertW

Visit site
I think you're confusing Southern and Northern Italians... who are about as closely related as two similar extremes in the UK. Still, better noisy Italians in boats than noisy Brits in soccer scarves...

How dare you - we fly a really big soccer flag on the boat and even got the asymettric made in our team colours. I like the party atmosphere when the Italians arrive and now put fenders out when anchoring and relax as they go through the rituals if bikini girls on the foredeck holding ropes with both ends untied whilst the blokes have a loud conversation in the cockpit that bet is nothing to do with the approaching parking manouvre.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
How dare you - we fly a really big soccer flag on the boat and even got the asymettric made in our team colours. I like the party atmosphere when the Italians arrive and now put fenders out when anchoring and relax as they go through the rituals if bikini girls on the foredeck holding ropes with both ends untied whilst the blokes have a loud conversation in the cockpit that bet is nothing to do with the approaching parking manouvre.

We always have the fenders out in Croatia. Best example of Italian anchoring I can recall was in the Kornatis when a charter boat started to drop his anchor far too close to us and then started to fall back towards us as he let the chain out. I was sitting on deck having a beer and thinking that any second now he's going to abandon this attempt and try again .... but no. I shouted to my crew "all hands on deck" ready to fend off. The Italian children on the boat were running about and screaming, although I think that was play screaming.

I was actually holding onto his pushpit whilst my Son moved a fender a long to fill the gap. The Skipper looked at me and said "I think it's too close" and I said "You could say that". I should explain that the sun was out, we all had beers available, and everyone was smiling, especially the children who seemed to be loving every moment.

He went off to try again whilst we all watched and I'll swear that he must have dropped the anchor at least 2 metres away from the first attempt. This time, as he started to come back, he said something like "Still too close" and I replied "I think so" and he started to go forward again.

He then pulled up his anchor and motored over close to the shore, dropped the anchor, and someone jumped off the back with a line in their hands and started swimming for the shore ..... but the offshore breezer was blowing the stern further and further away. We were all watching and I said to SWMBO "This isn't going to end well". By the time the guy got to the shore he was right at the end of the line. He tried to pull the boat in but he had nothing to secure around between pulls so he gave up the unequal struggle and swam back to the boat. SWMBO asked me why they didn't just anchor on the leeward side of us as we were the only other boat in the inlet but I couldn't answer that.

They then pulled up the anchor and motored over to the other side of the narrow inlet where they dropped the anchor again and the guy dived in with the line. This time the boat was holding station perfectly so he got to the shore with plenty of line to play with and was able to tie up around a massive bolder.

All's well that ends well, and we have all made similar mistakes, of course, but it was a good hours worth of quality viewing. :)

Having said that, the longest anchoring failure saga I have ever seen was a boat with Brits onboard. :ambivalence:

Richard

Metabarca

Visit site
Well I really don't know where you go, guys, because I've never, and I mean never, seen a boat full of Italians being noisier than anyone else or making more of a hash of anchoring than anyone else (except with a couple of mobos...).

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Well I really don't know where you go, guys, because I've never, and I mean never, seen a boat full of Italians being noisier than anyone else or making more of a hash of anchoring than anyone else (except with a couple of mobos...).

My experience in the Ionian was that large families, ranging in age from babies in arms to grannies, would charter a boat of around 50 ft and sail it (motor it?) across to Greece. In many cases it seemed that one or at the most two of them had ever been aboard a yacht in their lives. They would lay their anchor across those of several others and attempt to get into a space far too narrow for them. When this didn't work they would try another space without troubling to lift the anchor they had laid. The only times I have ever seen anchor chains wrapped around another boat's prop were both the direct result of this practice.

Not to say that all Italians are the same, I have come across many excellent Italian sailors and even the questionable ones were mostly friendly and cheerful.

alexsailor

Visit site
Italians? They are angels compared to Polish!
In Ag. Nikolaos they have occupied the Dimitris place. Taking water, electrixty but not spending an euro...
And they are moored here for days....