The hardest part of acquiring a new boat is ...

G

finding a name for it, any sensible suggestions?

Pete

PS like the mods to the forum.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
What a pleasant problem Peter. I've got the same one though the boat doesn't arrive until September. It's very difficult to name somebody else's boat unless you know something about them or the boat. I've a navy blue hulled boat arriving and I fancy "Rhapsody in Blue" , though my wife likes " The Navy Lark". Looks like we'll need to find another one or divorce.

G

So what are you getting?

Bill,
What are you taking delivery of? Ours is a Moody hopefully in late June / early July. We have researched clasical myths etc, I am tempted to go back to our first boats name but the real boss thinks it may be unlucky!!!??????

Pete

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Re: So what are you getting?

I've ordered a Maxi 1100 with a navy blue hull. I've thought about all sorts of "MAX" puns but they didn't seem right so decided to try to find names with a blue theme. We also tried some Norse mythology sea gods as the boat's Swedish. We might settle for AEGIR one of the Norse sea gods. I still prefer "Rhapsody in Blue", probably because I love George Gershwin but I think we'll end up with something different. I've seen lots of boats that have been named after the owner's last boat usually with something like "2" or "too" or "again" after the name. I'm not sure about the luck thing. Good luck.

Rachelle

Visit site
Re: \'old on, matey!

I know you're right about how it will sound over the VHF but we just couldn't help ourselves, besides, there are plenty of strange ones out there already.

So on the 15th of June when our spanky new Bavaria 34 gets lifted in she will be proudly sporting her somewhat unusual name of "Pohutukawa" which means "splashed by the spray".

Why pick something so tricky? It means something to us - his first boat was called "Splash" plus we wanted something that was a bit kiwiana (yes sorry, yet another antipodean in England).

Clearly we'll have to call her Po for short!!

You can stop laughing now.

x:eek:)

Rach

G

flatter the wife and gain brownie points with something of her choice or name in it ;-)

billmacfarlane

Visit site

I've got a mate with a boat called Gingerbread Man. He called a boat on his VHF called Twinnie the Pooh. After a few minutes when the penny dropped they mutually agreed to call each other as little as possible !!!!!

bobnewbury

www.sailblogs.com
Re: Boat names on VHF

Ours is called "Birvidik" which, apparently, means "enthusiast" in Breton. The original name was "Scarab", which we prefer, but someone's nicked the name on the register in the interval.

So - we're sticking with "Birvidik", but it's difficult on the VHF, even using the phonetic alphabet - too many bloody "india"s.

It's also been corrupted to "Pervy Dick" & "Bit of a Dick" by our less respectful friends.

But we love her.

G

Nice one but tried that she is is stuck as I am but we can't call the boat by her yard number!!!Even thought about naming it after the dog but a rather nice boat is already called Rona!!!

Pete

iangrant

Visit site
I was lucky, for once this time with our new (2 year old boat), I've had all sores of boat names from Tiara to Serenade, really tacky, this time she's called "Taiyo" which means "sun over the sea" not bad for a Sun Odyssey, wish I was that clever!!

Try a greek,japanese,french,Italian,Irish, etc... (ooh not Welsh though, (only kidding))

Ian

G

You could stick with 'Rapsody in Blue' and stick 'of Bognor' or whatever your home port is. There are at least three other 'Rival Spirit's each with an 'of' to differentiate.

Fortunately ours was first! (but still carries an 'of Arne' suffix)

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

incognito

N/A
Visit site
We came up with all sorts of erudite ideas - then, faced with the registry form, a name just popped up - supplanting all the clever, arcane names we had mulled over.
Rely on 'gut' feeling to give you a name.

incognito

N/A
Visit site

Take it from me... the problem with a long name is that every time you want something with the name on (stick on name, dodgers...) you have to pay according to the number of letters in the name.

I love the name of a boat I saw cruising in the Med last year... Allegro Ma Non Troppo... the owner was a professional pianiste (the 'e' was deliberate).

G

Make sure that there are no "holes" in the name to make it easier to paint on everything with a stencil.

By "holes" I mean try to avoid:

A, B, D, O, P, Q and R in upper case

and

a, b, d, e, g, o, p and q in lower case

and

4, 6, 8, 9 and 0 in terms of numbers.

It's a real bind cutting out stencils if you have to leave in the "holes". My nightmare name would be something like "BAABAAQ689"!!

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

G

Beware! I bought a boat with a french name. I dont think I have ever managed a VHF call without a "say again your name" or response to "Unknown station". Perhaps it is my accent but it does concern me if there was a real emergency. Yes, i know I can change it but it would cost me a fortune to re register and I would have to clean the old one off the stern!

peterb

Visit site
Agreed

We had a club boat called 'Saoirse'; I believe Irish for freedom and pronounced Seersher. I got so used to spelling out the name as Sierra Alpha Oscar.....etc that the usual coastguard reaction when I finished was "Yes, sir. I got as far as the first Sierra. Can you repeat at dictation speed, please?"

We'd bought the boat second-hand. Most of us would have liked to change the name, but one of the committee members said that it would be unlucky. It certainly could have been, if we had needed to get out a message in a hurry.

On a slightly different tack, I remember the reaction from the coastguard when called by 'Yacht Payday'. An immediate request to change the name, unlucky or not.

G

When you have a shorlist try saying them over the radio, or pretending too. When I brought a new boat about 7 years ago Fritha was a possibility but the name sounded awful when said three times as per VHF. From the VHF point of view names need some hard vowels in them so we settled on Freyja for a HR31

Mike

G

My boat should logically be called Molto Lento on that basis!

Seriously though, names should not be too long. Try opening a dictionary at random and choosing the first six letter word you find.

[Just did it three times and got; Morose, Proign (an obsolete form of prune) and Stealth. - Ah well, back to the drawing board!]