The Great River Race 2007 8th September 12.55

Ramage

Visit site
Just a reminder that the 2007 Great River Race starts from Ham House at 12.55 on 8th September.

The boats then row down the tideway to Island Gardens (Isle of Dogs) opposite the Royal Hospital at Greenwich.

As usual participants will not be looking where they are going and will shout WAKE! and WASH! at every opportunity.

SWMBO is rowing with the Petersham & Ham Sea Scouts Leaders in "George Vancouver", a Thames Skiff.

My kids are rowing, representing Richmond Upon Thames Explorer Scouts in a Jolly Boat called "Phoenix II".

The course is 22 miles. I think they are raving mad! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
Gawd! Do they still run that? I remember being a safety boat when they ran the first one and fishing 22 people out of the river just below Tower Bridge. I still have my Safety Officer flag somewhere. Mike Turk was the original organiser I think.

Poignard

Visit site
Great event. Last time we went to see it, it coincided with an open day in many of London's famous buildings. We had a good view of the race from the Custom House.

Ramage

Visit site
Re: The Great River Race 2007 8th September 12.55 *DELETED*

No problem... I expect to see little Yellow ducks somewhere on route! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Re: The Great River Race 2007 8th September 12.55 *DELETED*

I was hanging off a pile outside Molsey Lock, the gates opened and they made a very slow start.....

Was quite amusing watching some of Molseys finest picking them out the water on the beach and throwing them back in. (I bet they did not all go back in as well..)

With 10K as the main prize I hope they had someone watching carefully to record the true winner!!

Ramage

Visit site
Not sure how things are up on The Isle of Dogs. I am a Teddington boy myself (lived there from birth to age 23, and live in the next village even now).

There are lots of dire warnings about parking around the finish line... best to check with the organisers!

Ramage

Visit site
I will look out for you too!

I will be the fat bloke in a Pioner 325 with a Yam 9.9 motor
called "Arctic Fox X".

We are going as support boat and to tow back the boats from Petersham & Ham Sea Scouts.

Please give a big yell of support to "Phoenix II" race number 131 which is being rowed by a team of under 14 Scouts.(My son & daughter are rowing on this one).

The other 2 boats are "Dorney" race number 179 which is young leaders, and "George Vancouver" number 181 which is a helpers boat. SWMBO is rowing in this one.... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ramage

Visit site
Yes, I call it Yamaha 9.9.

And it is on Arctic Fox X.

Which is a Pioner 325 and is owned by my 13 year old son Alex.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keith 66

Visit site
To the support boat drivers, Thanks lads it was good to know you were there, I was on one of the two Lower Thames Rowing club four oared gigs and we had a brilliant day, my boat had a mixed crew of ladies and men and they did well finishing halfway up the fleet, we reckon we took it too easy early on and speeded up around westminster the last miles being done on a high.
Anyone who thinks we are mad just doesnt get it, to take part is just superb and you ought to have a go or you will never know! word of warning though do not attempt it in an ASC they are hideous fat boats supposedly designed for training kids, and i can think of nothing more likely to put them of the sport for life, they should all be burnt for causing child abuse!