The Galley of Lorne

wully1

Visit site
If in Ardfern..Stock up in the village store or Lucy’s

Staff walk out of Galley of Lorne over work conditions

ARGYLLSHIRE ADVERTISER
Jul 19, 2024 by Fiona Ross

A historic hotel at the heart of a Mid Argyll village has been reported to the council for alleged breaches of health legislation after its entire staff walked out.

Ardfern is home to The Galley of Lorne Inn.
A spokesperson for Argyll and Bute Council confirmed that it has received a complaint about the Galley of Lorne Inn in Ardfern and told the Advertiser that it is investigating the matter.

Among the staff who walked out in protest on Sunday July 14 were Gail and Mike Perks, who had been employed by owner Andrew Stanton as managers at the hotel for less than a week.

“He hadn’t had a manager for ages,” Mrs Perks told the Argyllshire Advertiser. “My husband and I went in on Monday and found things to be well below standard. We tried to sort out the mess, but it’s the owner himself who is the problem.”

Mrs Perks went on to say that the former waiting, housekeeping and kitchen staff have approached the workers’ advice and arbitration service ACAS and asked for help bringing a legal case for constructive dismissal against Mr Stanton, citing poor working conditions and uninhabitable staff accommodation.

When contacted by the Advertiser regarding the case an ACAS spokesperson said: “We respect the confidentiality of both sides involved in these types of disputes and we cannot confirm details of cases that we deal with. If neither side wishes to try conciliation, then the case can go straight to a tribunal.”

The Perks’ claim that the employees were compelled to work extremely long hours and forced to live in squalid accommodation.

“The workers often work more than 80 hours a week and when I questioned the owner about a member of staff who had worked 86 hours in one week, he replied by saying, normally it’s around 70 hours. However, that is still not acceptable,” said Mrs Perks.

The Advertiser contacted Mr Stanton with the list of complaints that had been made and he responded: “Employees are not compelled to work in excess of their contracted hours. Additional hours are entirely optional, and it is the employee’s choice if they choose to work any extra hours offered to them. We operate within the boundaries of the law as a responsible employer.”

As regards the staff accommodation the hotel’s ex-manager Mr Perks said: “I wouldn’t keep a rat in that accommodation. It is absolutely filthy; the shower doesn’t work and the bath leaks.”

Mr Stanton contested this: “Our staff accommodation has a working bath. The handheld mixer shower has been broken by a member of staff and is in the process of being replaced. The staff quarters has had a £15,000 refit in the last six months. This included complete redecoration, new carpets throughout the main thoroughfare and a fitted kitchen with all mod cons.”

A former customer and resident of Ardfern, who said previous encounters with Mr Stanton left him unwilling to give his name, agreed with the manager’s opinion of the staff living-quarters and added that he had reported the hotel to the council earlier this year for a different matter.

“I haven’t been in since January, but I know that several staff have complained about the accommodation and I have seen it myself; it’s disgusting – it’s mouldy and has broken sinks. When I was last there the roof was leaking into the bar and there were two black buckets gathering the rainwater. I asked him if he could put up signs as I was concerned that some of the more elderly customers would slip. He was absolutely vile to me in response. I reported the matter to the council, and I think someone from there telephoned him about it.”

The Ardfern resident also said that many locals had been barred for life from the hotel bar and added: “The community here is tight-knit and amazing; it’s just such a shame we don’t have a bar we can go to. I’ve heard talk of a community buy-out but we can’t force the owner to sell.”

Mr Stanton confirmed that the premises is currently only open to hotel residents.

Mr Perks claimed the hotel did not have a hygiene certificate “so, he shouldn’t be serving food of any sort, yet he’s advertising breakfasts”.

However, Mr Stanton said: “Food hygiene measures are within the acceptable remit as set out by Food Standards and the EHO. Food is not being served to the public at this time.”

The Advertiser was able to confirm that, at the time of going to press, the hotel was advertising available rooms with rates that included ‘full Scottish breakfast’.

Bouba

Visit site
If in Ardfern..Stock up in the village store or Lucy’s

Staff walk out of Galley of Lorne over work conditions

ARGYLLSHIRE ADVERTISER
Jul 19, 2024 by Fiona Ross

A historic hotel at the heart of a Mid Argyll village has been reported to the council for alleged breaches of health legislation after its entire staff walked out.

Ardfern is home to The Galley of Lorne Inn.
A spokesperson for Argyll and Bute Council confirmed that it has received a complaint about the Galley of Lorne Inn in Ardfern and told the Advertiser that it is investigating the matter.

Among the staff who walked out in protest on Sunday July 14 were Gail and Mike Perks, who had been employed by owner Andrew Stanton as managers at the hotel for less than a week.

“He hadn’t had a manager for ages,” Mrs Perks told the Argyllshire Advertiser. “My husband and I went in on Monday and found things to be well below standard. We tried to sort out the mess, but it’s the owner himself who is the problem.”

Mrs Perks went on to say that the former waiting, housekeeping and kitchen staff have approached the workers’ advice and arbitration service ACAS and asked for help bringing a legal case for constructive dismissal against Mr Stanton, citing poor working conditions and uninhabitable staff accommodation.

When contacted by the Advertiser regarding the case an ACAS spokesperson said: “We respect the confidentiality of both sides involved in these types of disputes and we cannot confirm details of cases that we deal with. If neither side wishes to try conciliation, then the case can go straight to a tribunal.”

The Perks’ claim that the employees were compelled to work extremely long hours and forced to live in squalid accommodation.

“The workers often work more than 80 hours a week and when I questioned the owner about a member of staff who had worked 86 hours in one week, he replied by saying, normally it’s around 70 hours. However, that is still not acceptable,” said Mrs Perks.

The Advertiser contacted Mr Stanton with the list of complaints that had been made and he responded: “Employees are not compelled to work in excess of their contracted hours. Additional hours are entirely optional, and it is the employee’s choice if they choose to work any extra hours offered to them. We operate within the boundaries of the law as a responsible employer.”

As regards the staff accommodation the hotel’s ex-manager Mr Perks said: “I wouldn’t keep a rat in that accommodation. It is absolutely filthy; the shower doesn’t work and the bath leaks.”

Mr Stanton contested this: “Our staff accommodation has a working bath. The handheld mixer shower has been broken by a member of staff and is in the process of being replaced. The staff quarters has had a £15,000 refit in the last six months. This included complete redecoration, new carpets throughout the main thoroughfare and a fitted kitchen with all mod cons.”

A former customer and resident of Ardfern, who said previous encounters with Mr Stanton left him unwilling to give his name, agreed with the manager’s opinion of the staff living-quarters and added that he had reported the hotel to the council earlier this year for a different matter.

“I haven’t been in since January, but I know that several staff have complained about the accommodation and I have seen it myself; it’s disgusting – it’s mouldy and has broken sinks. When I was last there the roof was leaking into the bar and there were two black buckets gathering the rainwater. I asked him if he could put up signs as I was concerned that some of the more elderly customers would slip. He was absolutely vile to me in response. I reported the matter to the council, and I think someone from there telephoned him about it.”

The Ardfern resident also said that many locals had been barred for life from the hotel bar and added: “The community here is tight-knit and amazing; it’s just such a shame we don’t have a bar we can go to. I’ve heard talk of a community buy-out but we can’t force the owner to sell.”

Mr Stanton confirmed that the premises is currently only open to hotel residents.

Mr Perks claimed the hotel did not have a hygiene certificate “so, he shouldn’t be serving food of any sort, yet he’s advertising breakfasts”.

However, Mr Stanton said: “Food hygiene measures are within the acceptable remit as set out by Food Standards and the EHO. Food is not being served to the public at this time.”

The Advertiser was able to confirm that, at the time of going to press, the hotel was advertising available rooms with rates that included ‘full Scottish breakfast’.
It was sounding like my kind of place....until I read ‘full Scottish breakfast’....that put me right off🤢

dunedin

Visit site
What a shame for all involved. The Galley of Lorne seems to have had its ups and downs over recent years - sometimes excellent other times poor - but this looks like a very bad situation,
With such a small village, and all businesses hugely impacted by the lengthy road closure, it needs all the customer trade it can get

nevis768

Visit site
Sympathy for those involved, but hope it gets sported out soon, the Lord of the Isles at Craobh is also shut. Staffing is an issue across the Highlands in hotels/bars.