The Cherbourg Challenge

cloudnine

Jolly Harbour Antigua, running my Charter business
Visit site
Courtesy of the illustrious Mr Grant, (have you completely retired now Ian, you seem to be posting a lot these days!!??) we have had two totally conflicting forecasts for 23rd/24th Sept. These have ranged from Gales to 4/5kn.

The conclusion is that not even the pros have a clue!

The Challenge is for our Cherbourg Skippers & Crew to successfully forecast the conditions on 24th/25th Sept, not later than Sat 18th Sept, complete with reasons why i.e what the synoptic situation over the Channel will be on the day.

My Skip says NW 5/6 but I know that's a guess so it doesn't count!!

Maybe TK can think about a small presentation to the budding Mr Fish!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

iangrant

Visit site
Forecast for 23rd:

NW 3/4 occ 5 sea state smooth, fair, temp 86 degrees, water blue, mermaids, dolphins, zzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzz

<hr width=100% size=1>

MrG

Visit site
Well I reckon it'll be SW 4-5 gusting 6.
Reason - I've asked my crew to sort it out...Plus there will be a low over Scotland (nothing new there then) of about 983 mB. It'll veer round to the North for the return crossing as is normal...

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue>Regards Mark

Nickel

Visit site
Well, since Ivan has helpfully [depending on where in the world you live, of couse] decided to wander up the inside route of the Appalachians, I don't reckon there'll be much left of the poor Russian by the time he gets over here.

My forecast.

Friday: W F4, visibility good, no precipitation, high pressure, but decreasing.
Saturday: don't really care, bars and restaurants have rooves don't they?
Sunday: NW F5/6, visibility moderate, some precipitation, pressure falling rapidly. [Don't wait until Monday to try and get home!]

<hr width=100% size=1>Nickel

Being paranoid simply means - having all the facts.