The blind leading .....

chas

Visit site
On Radio Devon last night a Met Office representative was being interviewed on the occasion of the new Met Offrice being "topped out". He was asked about the design off the building. He said thet the shape was a deliberate effort to make the best of things such as the lovely Devon views and the sun rising in the West ........

Robin2

Visit site
I have heard several stories about public buildings designed for one continent and erected in another through a mix-up of architects drawings, including a hospital in Dublin that looks like it should have been in India.

Of course there may be no truth to the stories .....

jamesjermain

Visit site
The Military hospital at Netley was built with verandas etc, and no heating, while a basically similar design, but without verandas and a full heating system, was built in Singapore (or maybe Hong Kong.

JJ

PaulJ

Visit site
Hmmm..... If he can't even forecast where the Sun will rise, it doesn't say much for his chances of forecasting the weather does it!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I was once an occupant of a three storey building that suffered persistent window leaks on its west side. It transpired that in the original design the west side had better windows, seals, catches etc as it was intended to face the prevailing weather, whereas the east side was built far more lightly and cheaper. Unfortunately, the builder held the plans upside down and it was built the wrong way around.

Another one. In the days when oil platforms were built module-by-module instead of being lifted onto the jacket in one piece, the pipework in a gas compression module on a major North Sea production platform was found not to connect to anything. It had been craned on, welded in position, other modules loaded alongside and above, before anyone realised that it had been rotated 180 degrees.

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Forecast & Building Design

The quality of forecasts lately I suspected they, the forecasters, were deep beneath the earth somewhere.

Back in the days of "Nationwide" on BBC they did an April 1st spoof about Newport Pagnell library. It does, however you look at it, look upside down. They added to the realism by showing staff standing on chairs to plug in electrical appliances.

Uxbridge town hall is reputed to have it's windows in upside down. They look like tall arch top windows but the arch is at the bottom.

Of course having worked in Milton Keynes at it's inception nothing really suprises me.