The Alistair Maclean thread...

StugeronSteve

Visit site
... got me thinking about other writers that I used to serial read, and one that springs to mind is Brian Callison. I really enjoyed his maritime (mainly merchant) novels. Must pull one off the shelf and give it a go again....probably find that I'll hate it though, cos thirty years can do a lot to one's reading tastes.

beancounter

Visit site
Seem to remember reading "The Cruiser" by Warren Tute (?) when I "were nowt but a lad". Concerning HMS Antigone, fictional sister-ship to the Ajax & Achilles. IIRC it wasn't a bad read, but time may have dulled the memory.

AJW

Visit site
A paperback I read as a kid was 'The Last Voyage of the Graf Spee' by Michael Powell. A cracking read and I believe the basis for the film 'Battle of the River Plate'.

I'm also a big fan of Douglas Reeman novels. They are a bit formulaic but good reads.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Point of useless information: Douglas Reeman is the name that Alexander (Richard Bolitho) Kent uses for his 20th century naval fiction*. I believe that he served in the Navy during WW2 so speaks from personal experience.

*Actually, I think Reeman is his real name and Kent is a nom de plume but you know what I mean.....

beancounter

Visit site
Another author I've dabbled with is Alexander Fullerton - the Everard stories set in WW1 and WW2. "The Blooding of the Guns" is a good account of the Battle of Jutland.

AJW

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Point of useless information: Douglas Reeman is the name that Alexander (Richard Bolitho) Kent uses for his 20th century naval fiction*. I believe that he served in the Navy during WW2 so speaks from personal experience.

*Actually, I think Reeman is his real name and Kent is a nom de plume but you know what I mean.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Alexander Kent is the nom de plum, named incidentally for a close friend of Douglas Reeman who died during the war. Google reveals http://www.bolithomaritimeproductions.com/ as source for all things Douglas Reeman.