The 08 boating season.

graham

Visit site
The sun broke through for ten minutes today which got me looking forward to the coming season.

I dont have anything too adventurous in mind this year but would like to get ashore on Lundy for the first time and possibly visit Bude also for first time. Anyone else been doing any chart studying/daydreaming?

PS anyone any first hand experience of Bude?

donm

Visit site
Bude looks like it is worth a visit. Entrance looks like a challenge unless it is quiet but I am told that opening the sealock might be an expensive business circa £100! OK if you are staying for a week or longer as the charges inside the canal are reasonable, but a bit expensive for a couple of days

graham

Visit site
In settled weather the outer harbour should be OK .Dont fancy paying £100 for a few tides.

1937rogerdon

Visit site
I have not been into Bude for over twenty years, swore I would not go in again. Had a look when down that way by road a few years ago and one problem seems to be the number of fishing boats moored in the very narrow entrance channel. The other problem is the very exposed entrance which is often subject to a very heavy ground swell and cross breaking seas. You could be stuck in there for several days.

Yes, I have had the pilot books out and started checking the charts, looking at tides etc. Down to Milford the first week in June, then across to the West coast of Ireland, Hopefully, Kinsale then cruise on down towards Dingle, back some time in July.

mrbloto

Visit site
hope the irish sea is as calm as this
img100.jpg

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
I've got the best part of 3 weeks off in August, but I've learned not to make plans! The last 2 years I've had some very strong winds which dictated where I went: that resulted in some rough but fast passages to the Scillies and Ireland.

I'd love to get round into the English Channel and head for the Channel Is or Brittany, or get to the south coast of Ireland, which looks like a stunning cruising area.

Whatever happens, I'll definitely be on Lundy as usual /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mrbloto

Visit site
just make your boat ship shape and bristol fashion and go for it . the trouble is the weather dictates what you can do in the bristol channel. mayday at padstow is a good couple of days and its my birthday. on the bleakest day of the year you just got to dream of the good days

bluedragon

Visit site
Nobody mentions Cardigan Bay or N.Wales...so I suppose I'll be the only one flying the new burgee up there then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IF we actually get a summer this year, a circuit of the Irish Sea - Milford / N.Wales / Dublin / Kilmore Quay and back would be nice (spread over a month or so probably). Otherwise up and down the Haven with a few excursions to Tenby and Solva ain't so bad...