Thames registration

Mctavish

Visit site
Hello, as it is Saturday and the EA is closed, I hope someone will kindly answer this question: is the only means of registering an unpowered boat for the Thames with the EA by post - you can't do it in person?

It occurred to me that I can use my inflatable dinghy on the Thames this week in particular, but I see that it takes 10 days for the application process (after it has been received in the post).

Thanks.

*would appreciate any recommendations for a quiet spot to row dinghy where water flows slowest. Maybe near Syon House?

Last edited:

Wavey

Visit site
I'm certain you can do short term (visitor) licences at Teddington Lock. EA jurisdiction however ends about 200 metres below Teddington Lock so from there down through Richmond and beyond no licence is required. Obviously below Teddington it's tidal (half tide as far as Richmond Lock then full tidal below that) so unpowered craft beware.

Below half tide when the sluices are down at Richmond Lock there's no flow between there and Teddington so that might be your best bet if you can find somewhere to launch.

teddington_lock

Visit site
Unpowered licences in all forms are sold at all thames locks.

Annual is in the region of £35.

You say 'inflatable' will you be putting an outboard on it or rowing it around ? If the former then you need a powered craft licence ( you could buy a visitors at any lock , assuming the boat lives at home in your garage and doesn't live afloat on the river ) ... If the latter , then an unpowered licence will do.

If you are going to row it at syon house , then you don't need any licence at all , as it is not within EA waters.

Mctavish

Visit site
Thank you, both! Good news.

I'll be rowing ("inflatable" = zodiac). I want to see if my canine friend is ok with boats, starting with the smaller one, but I should think rowing on the Thames is pretty idyllic, in the right circumstances, anyway.

* I think I meant Ham House. I remember there are walks down to the Thames there, and there was a little ferry to make the tiny crossing.

Last edited: