Thames Nomads - more

ms1

Visit site
known to the EA as 'permanently cruising' these owners are untouchable by the EA as recently confirmed at a meeting of the Thames River User group. The EA apparently are advised by their lawyers on the matter. These people have rights and they cannot be 'picked on'. If they're not navigating they dont need a licence of course. Further it would appear that, if they have children onboard who attend local schools, they are pretty much more entitled to be there than we 'leisure boaters' are. My recent complaint to EA attracted an explanation of their thoughts/ concerns about owners who overstay on 24 hour moorings, but of course that is not where the nomads settle. There is, it would seem, no issue regarding any suspicions about toilet waste disposal unless they are caught in the act of disposing of this improperly. So if housing and associated costs are getting you down scout around for an old boat and the Thames will provide a room with a view, close to schools, hospitals and other necessary amenities.
On the question of mooring one might predict that the EA position is that a licence to navigate does not mean that the EA are obligated to provide somewhere for leisure boats to moor as well.
I wonder how it all works on European inalnd waterways?

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
If they're not navigating they dont need a licence of course

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. You need a licence if you "use" your boat on the river or on waters directly connected to it eg in a marina with direct access into the river.

"Use" means sit on it and have a cup of tea /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So, the only reason for not pursuing "Nomads" for licence fees is if they are truly "men of straw". Maybe someone from the EA could be persuaded to come on here and contribute words of wisdom?

ms1

Visit site
I find that difficult to comprehend. The boat as the bottom of your gardedn doesnt need a licence just to stand there, but if you 'use it' ie sit on it and enjoy the sun-down then it requires a licence ?
Confused. My understanding is that licence for boats sitting in marinas is something that the EA desires but has not been brought into effect. Perhaps I am out of date on the subject. Anyway I think it not awfully critical whether these dwellers are licenced or not ... it cannot be that anyone can pull up where they fancy and reside there, licence or no.

ms1

Visit site
I have not seen any minutes; meeting was quite recent, but I was told the response to concerns expressed by someone who did attend personally. I will try get hold of minutes.

Gumpy

Visit site
If you are feeling vindictive then there is one way possible way of getting them moved.
If the have settled in a place just call the planning office of the local council and tell them there is a residential boat there.
They should then take action against them.
I know of one council that is about to take action against a boat where the owner wants to spend the summer living on it on her mooring and in the winter decamp back to her house, this is being classed as residential and hence the enforcement!

When the new Thames works order act (or whatever it is called) comes in then they will have to have a licence (registration) even if they never move the boat or are off line and in a marina.
J

ianc1200

Visit site
I think Julian is correct, after all this is what happened with the Shillingford Bridge Hotel moorings. The enforcement section of the Planning Dept should be contacted, it matters not that they may have to rehouse etc, because it's a breach of Planning laws.

Wouldn't mind SODC (South Oxfordshire DC) being made to do this, as I have enough problems trying to get Planning Permissions off them!

IanC

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't mind SODC (South Oxfordshire DC) being made to do this, as I have enough problems trying to get Planning Permissions off them!

[/ QUOTE ]
..and especially as SODC have a lot of river frontage with "do not moor here" signs.
BTW: used to trot 200metres up from our mooring at the caravan park on a Friday evening to SB Hotel and enjoy a bar meal before setting off for the weekend - Anybody tell me how Gordon is??? - he wasn't too well a couple of years ago

Brayman

Visit site
He was fine earlier this year (March). He did tell me about what happened to him, the detail of which I can't remember, but it sounded very weird and quite scary.

byron

RIP
Visit site
SODC Planning Officers are anti anything to do with boats. If they had their way they would lift the Thames up and deposit it in another County. The longest stretch of the Thames between locks is in their area yet has the fewest available moorings.