Thames Lock annoyance...

alpha

Visit site
A tricky problem which has happened to us a few times so far...

You're in the queue for the lock, behind a big boat (usually a Dutch steel job or similar). Your own boat is smaller (11'ish beam, 36'ish LOA). The preceding boat's skipper calls to you and says 'Go ahead, you'll get in', so you proceed towards the lock, to be waved away by the keeper.

The gates close, you walk up to the lock, and you see there was plenty of room to get in.

Do you say anything to the lock-keeper?

Do you complain to the EA?

Visit site
They seem to doing this more and more.

I think the theory is that it takes more time faffing around to fit one boat in than to drop and raise the lock.

I would tend to agree at a small lock like Bray but for a large lock like Boulters I would have complained - calmly!

Teddy

Visit site
This happens all too frequently now I'm fear. The attitude of lock keepers has changed over the years. Now I see many examples, as you describe, when it is quite obvious there is ample space for more. I have queried this several times in the past , usually with not much response, or a reply to the effect thet you are "not in a hurry are you?". Mind you, this is probably better than waiting ages to cram the maximum into the lock, every body moving forward several times, then a nail biting experience as you try to protect your shiny craft from being scraped by black tar painted narrow boats. Boulters Lock used to be a fine example of this many years ago. I've even seen the keeper have to reverse the flow becaiuse boats were getting hooked up as the level dropped! Not the quickest way through a lock.
There have been many changes / retirements on the river over the last few years and there seems to be a lack of summer assistants. How many times have you found the locks closed for lunch at the height of the summer season? Also some keepers will ignore boats for ages while they cut the grass, water the plants, etc.
If you complained to the EA, they will most likely quote lack of funding and put up the licence even more.
Don't get me wrong. I think most of the keepers are friendly and do a great job. As with everything in life, it can't be perfect.

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Can't say I've had any bad experiences of this more that have worked in my favour. Being only 24ft we often get waved forward by the lock keeper to be tucked in at the back.

Talking of lock keepers, very pretty lady on controls of Temple Lock the other day :)

Chris_d

Visit site
No your fault I\'m afraid!

Have to disagree, and take sides with the lockeeper, never move forward unless the lockeeper instructs you too, he's in charge and its his responsibility to fill the lock sensibily. You might think you can fit but what if the inexperiened hireboat in front drifts back, and your too close, crunch! then whose fault is it then.
I've been waved round larger boats on many occasions, but if told to back off, no problem. You really are not in a hurry are you. I think the keeper probably sent you back for not waiting on his instruction, sort of on the spot fine.
Have to say that this sort of impatience seems to get progressively worse as you go down stream, from about Boulters onwards.
Don't think this is new problem though, it was worse in the 70's, twice as many boats then.

alpha

Visit site
Thanks for the responses so far.

I agree with the sentiments above, except that the lock-keeper is not in charge of my vessel - I am. I shall maoeuvre and navigate in a safe manner as I see fit. In any case, he is unlikely to see the size of my vessel until it is in view, and don't let's forget I'm paying his wages for him to provide a service.

One instance of this was last week at Boulters, with only one sluice in operation on the upstream end of the lock. We weren't in a hurry (we try never to be) but the delay was substantial.

Our experiences of the Thames thus far are mostly good, with the odd annoyance. Certainly we don't regard the licence to be good value for money. The method of manual operation of hydraulic locks is unacceptable, in my view.

Perhaps we should all try to raise the profile of the problem?

Perhaps someone from EA would like to comment... or one of the Lock keepers?

oldgit

Visit site
Stop moaning.Try the rest of the known universe where you have to operate those big lumps of heavy stiff wood on your own.Bunch of soft southern jessies if you ask me!I MHO

And the weather for the weekend is...............

alpha

Visit site
Now that's fighting talk where I come from (though luckily for you I've moved). As a good Northumbrian boy, I'm no soft southerner!

We've done plenty of locks of all shapes and sizes, including the whole of the Great Ouse, and a while ago I did your home ground the Medway single-handed on my 32.

'Old Fashioned' wooden gated locks are quicker and easier to operate than the Thames' high tech jobs when in manual. I suppose that's what people call progress.

I hope you're not a grumpy oldgit!