Thames Barrier Visitor Centre

tcm

Visit site
Of course,living in London i hardly ever go and see things like this. But a friend and his wife came up and announced he would like to see the Barrier, so we went. I reckon he may have wanted to putas much disntance as poss between harrods and his wife but anyway...

By car, you go south through the Blackwall tunnel, turn off towards Thamsemead, and little barrier centre signposts turn up. Pretty grotty approach...

But the centre itself is not bad. They are ery enthusiastic. The 8 minute film was made in the seventies and eighties with commentary from a nicely confident voice of the correct period - I thik the same chap as explained how Hillman Avengrs were made as though they were easily the best cars in the entire world.

Outside, a very long chart (60m?) has been engraved on to the concrete shows the profile of the thames and possibly Isis, not sure, but every lock and place of note. You can also lean over and look at the barrier quite close up.

MiskinDriver

Visit site
Thames Barrier Park is another great way to see it - on the North Side and a nice wander down through a very 'individual' park to a great view of the barrier. Nice cafe in park too!

Still the best way to really appreciate the engineering is from the water while going through on the boat ......

tazzle

Visit site
Yep, it's quite sweet in a sort of English way. Very sort of Harold Wilson and GLC and Blue Streak. And that rather grotty industrial estate you have to go through is one of those Abercrombie post-war ones when they relocated all the small industries out of central London to the fringes.

Even though it got the go ahead in the 1950s, they actually built the entire M1 before getting started on constructing it. Early designs had a lifting road bridge over the top and tower blocks built on it with little hover-cars with little perspex bubbletops with men in ties smoking pipes inside 'em coming home from work to their 27th floor garage. Or something.