TEP's

TheBoatman

Visit site
TEP\'s

Does anyone on this forum actually know what I can do to get rid of TEP's (Time Expired Pyrotechnics)?

I've contacted the police, fire brigade, Dover CG and Thames CG all of whom say "sorry guv not us, try the other lot". The guy I spoke to at Thames was very helpful and explained that recent changes in various bits of legislation meant that they could no longer accept TEP's.

BTW he also indicated that whilst he couldn't be totally sure, he thought that any "person" carrying or transporting pyrotechnics in a vehicle not licenced to carry pyrotechnics might be "invalidating" their insurance ~ nice one ~ thanks for letting me know!

There seems to be a lot of "scuttlebutt" about who will or will not take them, but that's all it is "scuttlebutt" no one can actually come out and say this is where you can leave them.

To bring the forum up to date I emailed my local MP (Jonethan Shaw - Ex Fisheries Minister) and outlined the problem. He in turn answered me and forwarded on my email (with an accompaning letter) to one Huw Irranca - Davies MP, Parliamentary Under Sec of State at DEFRA, as yet I've not recieved a reply.

To get this problem of TEP's solved, can I ask that members drop a quick email to Huw asking "where can I safely dispose of my "TEP's" and add how many TEP's you have? I.e. "Huw I've got X TEP's where can I safely dispose of them"?

Email Huw here.

http://www.huwirranca-davies.org.uk/

Peter
TheBoatman

Most of us have TEP's, all I ask is that you take a couple of minutes to email Huw so that he knows the extent of the problem, because when we take the amount of TEP's country wide it is a "big" problem?

Please help me out here, and all your fellow boaters, because dumping them, leting them off in your back garden is not the answer!

Richard10002

Visit site
Re: TEP\'s

I keep mine on board. Whilst time expired, they will probably still work. In time of need, I wouldnt mind having the fall back option once I have fired off my IDPs, (In Date Pyrothechnics).

Thistle

Visit site

Thanks for taking this forward. I'll certainly contact Hewwhatsisname as suggested.

One question, however: how do commercial vessels (including fishing boats) get rid of their TEPs?

Landale

Visit site

For leisure sailors the MGCA still take them, you just need to ring your local MRCC and they will tell you where to drop them off.

I've just disposed of 2 packs of TEPs - it was completely painless :)

Cantata

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
For leisure sailors the MGCA still take them, you just need to ring your local MRCC and they will tell you where to drop them off. I've just disposed of 2 packs of TEPs - it was completely painless :)

[/ QUOTE ]
That's only because of where you live - read the original post where he said Thames and Dover MRCCs would not take them.
Some CG facilities have storage that meets new legal requirements, and that's how you got rid of yours. But the military, who have collected from the CG, are soon to stop, so that will be that.
Some police stations take them altho heaven knows what they do with the things.
Got all this from our local CG team.

oakum

Visit site

What a crap website that Huw fellow's got here I think is the link to email him

ps.huw.irranca-davies@defra.gsi.gov.uk

I personally think the manufacturers should take some responsibility and have a disposal facility - but that would affect their profits unless they charged for it and I'm not in favour of that.

We could always stockpile them for the next gunpowder plot which I've been reliably informed ain't far away.

Richard10002

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't there a recent case of a skipper being fined for carrying time expired pyros when visiting France?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no intention of visiting France, and would hope that he was fined because he only had TEPs on board, and no IDPs.

Is it a legal requirement to carry flares?

TheBoatman

Visit site

Richard
I operate a similar system ~ I have IDP's and one set of TEP's?

My problem is that at my club I'm now starting to get inundated with TEP's that are dated before 2001, some believe it or not go back to 1983!!!! I for one wouldn't go near the thing let alone try and let it off.
Members seem to think that the best way to get rid of their TEP's is to dump them on me (us ~ the club).

BTW if I'm heading for foreign ports I remove any TEP's because the French are fond of nicking boats with them on, irrespective of whether they are carrying IDP's.

Peter.

TheBoatman

Visit site

Julian
My local station is Thames and they definitely WILL NOT take them, I phoned them to check ~ something about their storage area being to close to a public road.

Dover is closer to me and they said they will take a "limited" amount from a private individual by prior arrangement but because my address is in Thames' area they wouldn't take them for me, let alone a club?

Peter.

TheBoatman

Visit site

Thistle
I have no idea on how commercial guys get rid of their TEP's. During my days as a commercial fisherman we got rid of them the same way you did i.e. police station, fire brigade or CG stations.

Peter.

homa

Visit site

How do the Commercial vessels get rid of their TEP's?
That's simple - on my ship we share them out, take them home and carry them on our own private boats !In the past when I was deep sea we used to let them off at boat drills (when out of sight of land) - was very popular and everyone had a go.No so easy now with 'elf and safety. It's been a while since I was deep sea.